Currencies in Duckburg

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Oct 5 09:19:20 CET 1993

I write:
> And [in Italian comics] Scrooge has dollars in his money bin.
> Does that mean that Duckburg is in the USA, even in the Italian translations?
> (In Holland, Duckburg is in some undefined country, but they pay in
> guilders.)

Per:
> In Sweden it's also in some undefined country, but they use Swedish
> crowns.  In German they use "Taler" which is the etymological
> counterpart to dollars and helps to set the Duckburgian world apart I
> guess.

I think the reason for the German Taler is that the comics are sold in 3
countries with different currencies: Germany (Mark), Switzerland (Franc),
Austria (Schilling). The people in these countries wouldn't accept the
Ducks to pay in a currency of one of the other.

One big disadvantage for the German speaking is that they have no symbol for
the 'Taler' (like $ for dollar). This means in the various Scrooge comics,
that they replace the $ by a big T, or just delete it! I've seen a German
version of "The Magic Hourglass", where all the $$ are removed! (Remember
the scenes where Scrooge eats an egg in his home.)
We Dutch are lucky to have a symbol for our guilder (some kind of 'f').
How's that in Scandinavia? What sign is used on $crooge's money bin?

--Harry.
"Mickey's #2 fan" 8-)