Cover Art

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Oct 5 09:43:36 CET 1993

Torsten wrote:
> Well, considering most of the old U$ covers from Dell and Gold Key, it
> would seem that this is the "traditional" way to do it.  I don't have the
> Photo Journal Guide to Comics in front of me, so I can't take a census of
> which had generic covers and which had story covers.  Anyone out there
> care to answer this?

I can try: as far as I have seen the Dell and Gold Key comic covers I come to
the following conclusion:

On WDC, the covers mainly were gag covers, until the mid-60s when the covers
contained all kinds of drawings illustrating inside stories.

The DD, MM and US one shots initially had covers illustrating the main story.
Somewhere in the mid-50s, they all got gag covers. In the mid-60s, the story
covers re-appeared.

Other comics like Chip 'n' Dale, Grandma Duck's Farm Friends, etc. etc. etc.
mostly had gag covers.

--Harry.