Brer Rabbit

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Wed Oct 6 01:15:31 CET 1993

David wrote:
>	[Buettner's] art is really unique in the mid-1940s, with a
> softness to it that refrains from cuteness (as Jack Bradbury would
> later get just *mired* in).  By the way, the stories in the first
> Br'er Rabbit comic are his, not Murry's.  (The way the boldface
> italics are lettered in the word balloons is enough of a giveaway...
> compare those stories to BROS 208's Murry items and you'll see the
> difference.)

Hmm?  The first Brer Rabbit oneshot is #129 and has art by Murry and
Tom McKimson, according to Becattini.  Nothing by Buettner, except for
the cover.  (He did lots of covers.)  Is it some other book you refer
to?

The reason I looked at these is because of what you wrote about the
dialect:
> Disney management told Bob Foster that he couldn't reprint old Br'er
> Rabbit stories without rewriting the dialect to remove the Southern
> accents...

Gladstone reprinted some Brer Rabbit stories in their digests, with
dialect and all, and then I noted that in De Tar-Baby from the earlier
of the two Brer Rabbit one-shots (the third is a reprint issue)
there's a "d" in words like dis, dat, de, wid, widout, dey, den.
But in the second one (BROS 208) "th" was used in such cases.  That
"th" is sometimes very cramped, so evidently it was originally written
as "d" and then some editor had them change it afterwards.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "An' it jest so happen that *I* is a detekatiff...
  Th'best detekatiff in these woods!"