Mickey + $crooge = true

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at j-sek.lu.se
Wed Oct 6 15:55:43 CET 1993

Said James Williams:
What Disney knows about American comic books wouldn't fill a thimble.
Crossovers are all the rage.  With a little marketing, an annual Donald/
Mickey cross-over in D&M would probably sell better than a regular issue
of D&M.  Only routine teamups would affect the characters adversely.

True enough: I only stated what I thought Disney thought - not what I thought
they ought to think, nor what I think myself

And the continued:
I wouldn't use Murry's PB as the basis for anything.  While the concept
was neat the story was poorly done and PB was completely out of
character.

Nor would I (that was my whole point in mentioning them); I also heartily
concur in your evaluation.

You (and every other Donaldist) completely ignore Gottfredson's works.
Before Donald was a household name, he appeared as a supporting
character in Mickey Mouse's strip.  I'll grant you that they don't live
in the same town now, if you'll grant me that they did live in the
same town in the past.

Now, this is where you jump the track completely; but - no fault of yours of
course, since I didn't give you my full argument from my article, where I deal
in DETAIL with Gottfredson's Mickey (and when I wrote this, I suddenly
rememberd that that's where and when I read that Disney don't like crossovers:
already in the thirties they pulled Donald out of the Mickey strip, because
they felt at that time the co-appearance would lessen the commercial value of
both characters) and the appearance therein of Donald Duck.

Also, both "Hometown" and "Mouseville" are municipalities from the Gottfredson
strips ("Hoppy the Kangaroo" and the original "Phantom Blot" story (can't
recall the exact title) respectively).

But anyway, I think (in Duck reality, not real reality, alack and alas!) that
Donald, who according to Don Rosa was/is born c 1920 (the June 6 1934 date is
RIDICULOUS: you have to be a LITTLE older than new-hatched to act Donald's part
in "The Wise Little Hen"), a date with which I agree, and who thus was a
teenager in the midthirties, well, he simply lived in MICKEY'S town before
permanently moving to the West Coast and eventually to Duckburg, Calisota,
probably some time in the early forties. I for one have NO problem with the
idea of a young Donald restlessly moving through the USA of the post-depression
era before settling down more permanently as he aquires the added
responsibility of caring for his nephews. So don't you say that I don't care
about Gottfredson, nor for that part Taliaferro, whom I also checked, to the
best of my abilities, for references (could only find a c 1941 Donald
Duck-adress: "Hollywood, USA").

Barks for his part has only two references to Mickey and the Ducks that I know
(the ducks don't appear in "Riddle of the Red Hat"): the "Mickey Mouses social
security number" gag in the radio prize shoe in WDC, and the less clear
reference in the "Donald sends the kids to Grandma/beds down/fights salesmen
story" (also WDC) where he says to himself (more or less) "I must call Daisy
and Mickey and all my friends and warn them not to ring the dorrbell once". But
this might of course be some other Mickey...? Weeeell... what do I know? I know
nuthing! I'm from Sweden.

And finally:
Agreed.  This means that the story would probably have to occur on
neutral ground.  Using a real location with a rich history would make
for a better story than using either Mouseton or Duckburg.

Yeah. True enough.

Mattias Hallin

"Root-te-toot, root-te-toot! I'm a girl from the institute!"