Stand up and be heard!!!.. Please!

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Sat Sep 18 21:23:31 CEST 1993

On Fri, 17 Sep 1993, Gilbert Milburn wrote:

>      Also, I have, had lucker(s) contact me privately who've said,
> that they are still a little nervous about blindly writing to any
> list that Mr. Rosa is a member of....  my response has always been
> something to this effect: "I can understand your feelings, but I
> have known Don now, for about 10+ years (and I known OF him even
> LONGER) -- he's one of the easiest persons that I know to talk to
> and HIGHLY appreciative of his fans!  However, I too still get a
> little nervous at times!!  So, I can't really blame you for
> remaining a *lurker* (although, it would be NICE if you joined us
> in the sunshine! =)." ..and you already know this, (you know who
> you are out THERE) if you received my letter (but regardless of,
> whether you have or haven't... write back as soon as you can!).

I am going to repeat the advice I have heard from comic book convention
attendees.

1)	Don't be afraid to approach a professional.  They may be wonderful
and creative people, but they are people, and most like to meet the people
who enjoy their work.

2)	Be polite.  If they are talking to someone, or they are on their
way to a panel, then wait, or politely introduce yourself.

3)	You don't have to give a detailed explanation of why you liked a
particular story ("The fight between Foobar-Man and Acme Lad, symbolizing
the inner conflict we all face when we select a brand of toothpaste, was
sheer genius!")  A "I really like Fumtu Comics.", while corny and
fanboy-ish, is more sincere.

4)	Go ahead and ask questions about the comic books.  Just be polite.

5)	Some creators might autograph a comic book, others might require
you to stand in line to get something signed.  Be reasonable, and
understanding.  Some creators have to erect tents and take reservations
because everyone wants their signatures.

Don, are there any additions you might wish to add?  I know you are not as
recognizable as some creators out there, but how do you like to be treated
by fans?

Torsten Adair	torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu	Omaha, NE, USA