Norwegian index

Fredrik Ekman ekman at lysator.liu.se
Thu Dec 15 13:36:30 CET 1994

Jorgen:
Your format seems very much inspired by the general format as devised by
Harry. Why don't you use it as it is? Take a look at Anders' sw*.issues
files for examples of how that could look. The only main difference I can
find between your format and Harry's is that you specifically note
continuation stories. (Or do you have a proposed standard for that and I
just missed it, Harry?) The extras may be a bit of a problem, but Anders
should face the same sooner or later. How do you handle that, Anders?

Anders:
How do you currently handle Swedish characters? We should see about
fixing up a standard for this and like I have mentioned before, I would
be willing to "correct" those entries that currently consist of a, a and
o respectively just as soon as we have settled for something. This
"something" must be both a format for the finished database and a
workable way of entering/transfering the data, possibly converting them
at the final stage.

Desciding on the standard first, I see two possible alternatives.

1) Using }{|][\. This is what Ole is currently using. It conforms to some
ISO standard, but I forget which. It simplifies handling a lot but
generally looks extremely ugly since today few terminals actually convert
these to the proper characters.

2) Latin-1. There is very little problem with submissions being according
to alternative 1 and then convert them to alternative 2. I could easily
write such a program or two. Indexers who so whish could submit directly
in Latin-1 by UUencoding, for instance. Drawback: Users of MS-DOS and
many other non-Scandinavian users may get problems since Latin-1 is far
from universal. I still think this is the best method.

Are there other sensible alternatives?

  /F