Digests 219-228

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Feb 1 10:12:44 CET 1994

Hi, everyone.

I have been away for a week, so here's a reply to digests 219 through 228.

London
~~~~~~
I visited London last week... I didn't expect any good Disney comics, but
it was a surprise to not find any comics at all! The only things I found
were Tintin and Asterix at Harrod's... I walked through Oxford Street, but
I didn't see a comic shop. If I had seen the mails of Even and Fredrik
about London, I would have looked better.

DDA #25
~~~~~~~
I really can't say much about David's script: I can't distinguish between
good English and bad English. But I noticed some changes from the original
Dutch text and they were improvements. It's a pity you couldn't translate
all of the Bank Museum gags, David.

Some other remarks about the contents:

In the Gladstone ad for this month's issues, Jippes is called a Danish
artist. Please pass this if you are reading this, Gary: Jippes is Dutch,
NOT Danish. You could call him American (he became a USA citizen in the 80s),
but NOT Danish.

The cover of DDA #25 doesn't look Verhagen to me; it looks more like
Michel Nadorp. The cover is from the original Dutch comic.

WDC #590 has an excellent (Dutch) Jippes cover. But the contents, "High
Flying Picnic", can be a disappointment for Jippes fans. It was written by
Jan Kruse, and the art is not that good. When will Gladstone start reprinting
Jippes' re-inks of Barks' Junior Woodchucks stories?

I liked the article by Alberto Becattini. In fact, I bought the comic
because of the article (and David's script of course 8-). Gladstone
should continue this, though it would be nice to have "original" art in
the article, not a copy of a panel that can be found elsewhere in the
comic.

I agree with letter writer Kevin Kuffa: I always liked the "next issue" box
in Disney Comics's comics, and a page numbering would make it easier to
make references.

Don Rosa:
~~~~~~~~~
Donald Duck Extra #1 is in the shops this week. It shows the cover of the
next issue, illustrating Lo$ part 4. I guess it's too late for you to use
that cover, but if it's not, tell me, and I'll send it to you.
I plan to send you the Dutch issues of Lo$ parts 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 in April,
when part 6 is published.

David Gernstein 8-):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How do you pronounce your name? Gerstine or Gersteen? How do Americans know
the difference?

Gladstone colour albums
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Charlie Ellis summarized the albums on Topi's request. He forgot to mention
one: apart from the 26 (?) WDC, 2 US-gags and 6 Gyro albums, there was also
one album containing the 8-page Firestone Christmas giveaways.

Jippes
~~~~~~
Mark and Ole asked what Daan Jippes is doing at Amblin'. I think he is in
animation, not comics 8-(.

Ferioli
~~~~~~~
Ole asked: "The latest MM serial in Dutch DD is not too bad, eh?".
In fact, it is the second story drawn by Ferioli that was published in
Holland (according to your index, Ole). I'm already recognizing his drawing
style, which is quite good (but not excellent...)
The story was a good example of why Disney *should* censor some of the
stories. Mickey and Goofy get lost in a desert, almost dying of thirst.
Then they see some Indians on horses approaching. Are they glad to see
humans? NO, they are AFRAID of their life because they are INDIANS. And
it's not in 19th century Wild West, no, it's 1993!
The Indians are wearing war colours (because of some tourist attraction),
but Mickey and Goofy don't seem to notice that. The translator could have
improved the text here, but still they should be puzzled by the war colours,
not frightened.

Nuremberg
~~~~~~~~~
Don, please keep us informed of your plans about going to Germany! I might
even go there myself to have the opportunity to shake your hand in a crowd...

I too would love to know more about the comic convention in Nuremberg.

(One more mail to come)
--Harry.