Disney-comics digest #242.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Tue Feb 15 19:43:32 CET 1994

	Dear Folks,

	Tryg Helseth said,

	"I was trying to locate yet another story where Gyro appears
without a hat; there was one I remember where Gyro was quite a bit
heavier and I don't think he had a hat.  As I recall, it was a brief
appearance in a US or DD story--probably in DD.   Anyone remember this
pre-Jenny Craig Gyro?"

	Yep.  Gyro may be a chicken, but in "Hobblin' Goblins" (DD 26,
and reprinted billions of times since then) he's fat as a pig.  Why
this is, is completely beyond me, because he never looked like that
before or after that story (which, BTW, is his third appearance).

	He wears his hat, BTW, for the entire story.

	Now my quote:  anyone who guessed that the phrase "It's a
CHICKEN, I tell ya!  A GIANT CHICKEN!" came from Warners' recent
"Chicken Boo" cartoons, is right.  This is a series about a giant
chicken living, apparently, in the regular human world.  This chicken
has no human attributes most of the time, but wants desperately to be
a person, so each cartoon revolves around him putting on an outlandish
disguise (which IMHO doesn't stop him from looking like a chicken in
the least).  He fools people, at first, then fails.  Again and again
and again.  I don't like when a good, original idea is rammed into the
ground until it stops being original...

	Back to all-Disney stuff next time, I promise.
Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh.

	Yours twuly,

	David Gerstein

	"I'm the Fuller Brush Man!  I'm givin' g'way free semple!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>