New issues

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Jan 3 10:08:32 CET 1994

Last year (i.e. last week), I bought some new Dutch and American Disney comics.
I'll give some loose remarks, to start the year with.

Gladstone's Donald Duck #283 has the following text on the cover:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  A BRAND NEW DON ROSA OLYMPICS STORY INSIDE!

So this one slipped through, too, Don?
The story, "From Duckburg to Lillehammer", is of the usual Rosa quality. And
Don may claim he can't draw ducks, but I have seen noone else that draws the
nephews in a way he does on page 10 (bottom row). Excellent!
The rest of the comic is filled with Osborne/Taliaferro strips from 1937.

Dutch Donald Duck Extra 1993-13 features a Van Horn story (Fredrik: it's
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D 92144). The translators start with a quote in the opening panel:

  "Everything's quiet in town! Except in Duck's house but that is
  normal... (C. Barks)"

This must be the first time they put a Barks quote PLUS his name in a Dutch
Disney comic... The Dutch have used this quote for years in ads for DD Weekly.
I can't exactly remember which story it was from, and I know the English is
not accurate (it's re-translated Dutch).

--Harry.

Harry         PTT Research       ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
Fluks         Leidschendam        (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl