confusing kids; Lone Ranger in LOS

Wilmer Rivers rivers at seismo.CSS.GOV
Thu Jan 6 17:39:49 CET 1994

Don Rosa responds to Harry:
> 	I guess I don't have to tell you that Thom Roep's explanation
> (which echoes the "official" explanation that all Disney editors are
> told to give) that giving credits in comic books would "confuse kids" is
> utter bawlderdash. Hogwash! It's foolish on the face of it.

This is, of course, as lame an excuse as they could possibly come up
with.  For one thing, a better case could be made that **omittimg** the
credits would confuse the kids - are they supposed to believe that the
comics are being written and drawn by the late Walt Disney himself?
And how do they reconcile this policy with the practice of having
animation and scripting credits appear in cartoons?  Are kids who watch
TV less easily confused than those who read comics?  Also, do they
really want to go on record as claiming that kids who read Disney comics
are more easily confused than those who read other kinds of comics?

On another subject, Don writes:
> 	2) I made a joke about "the Lone Ranger" in Lo$ part X, as
> Stefan says, 30 years before the creation of that character. Yes, THIS
> one was on purpose and I gave it some thought. But the gag tickled me
> and I decided to treat the L.R. as if he was an actual person.

Actually, the anachronism is probably less severe than you indicate.  I
don't know when part X takes place, but it could be close to the publi-
cation date of Zane Gray's novel "The Lone Texas Ranger", which antedated
the "Lone Ranger" radio show by many years.  (Zane Gray wrote another
novel called "Beneath the Tonto Ridge", which may also have had some
influence on the "Lone Ranger" radio show, one would think...)

Wilmer Rivers