Mouseton

Fabio Gadducci gadducci at DI.UniPi.IT
Thu Jan 6 19:40:11 CET 1994

About Mouseton, David wrote:

>        In European stories, Mickey is always identified as living in
>Duckburg.  In fact, I've seen German reprints of Gottfredson stories from as
>early as 1931 referring to the town as Duckburg!  It strikes me as
>odd, because I find very few similarities in the appearance of the
>towns.

This does not happen in Italy, where the town Mickey lives in has been
consistently called "Topolinia" during the last 35 years.
Instead in the earlier translation of Barks'material, Duckburg was called
Paperinopoli, later changed to Paperopoli.

>        When working on a huge MM reference project for Egmont last
>year based on the American conceptions of the Mickey Mouse universe, I
>worked 100% from Gottfredson, Scarpa, and the one Barks story.  But
>when forced to pinpoint Mickey's town, I placed it in Calisota, two
>towns away from Duckburg.  It's on the other side of Pickleburg.

This also happens in the works of the Italian authors, since they follow
Scarpa's topography. Btw, the characters of the two towns interact quite
often (or so it happened, at least, during the Mondadori years).

Fabio

Fabio Gadducci            Dip. di Informatica
Home: +39-50-541725       Universita` di Pisa
Off.: +39-50-510268       Corso Italia 40, 56100 PISA (ITALY)
FAX:  +39-50-510226       E-mail:gadducci at di.unipi.it