Grandey's comments on Lo$

Mikko Henri Juhani Aittola maittola at snakemail.hut.fi
Sun Jun 26 21:56:53 CEST 1994

Hi folks!

I just read popular Finnish weekly magazine called Apu.
It contains Carl Barks interview. The contents are mostly
the things he said in the press-conference, I suppose.
But Apu is the only magazine which has also printed
Grandey's opinions about Mr. Don Rosa...

I try to make quick summary about the last part of
the interview:

translated from Apu 25/26 1994.
Original Finnish writer Ilkka Ranta-Aho

'What Barks thinks about current Duck-artists?'

Barks' has said before that he likes work of William Van
Horn, Daan Jippes and Don Rosa. After that Rosa has 'dubbled
under' from Barks' list.
  Barks, being almost overly polite man, doesn't critisize
Rosa's work in public, but Barks managers Bill Grandey and
Kathy Morby have things to say about Life and Times of $crooge
McDuck.
  "Art of the story is very un-Disney and there is too much details
even in the not-so-meaningful panels. The story is overdone, almost
cannibalistic. Carl Barks wants to make clear that $crooge didn't
born in 1877. How could he be about 60-years old in 1994 around
Troja in Barks' new story if he is 117-years old?"

------
So there it was. I wonder why he thinks that Rosa thinks that
$crooge was born in 1877? He obviously hasn't even read Don's
story. The word cannibalistic is also weird. Maybe that has
something to do with chapter 11? Grandey doesn't even know
Barks' own work and Barks' zombie-story.
Anyway the story in Apu was very bad publicity for Rosa.
They closed the story with Rosa comments.
The writer didn't know anything about Don and Lo$, he just
went with Grandey.
Maybe I should Xerox 'The Making of the Lo$' from Gladstone
issues for the writer or something?
Here is FAX number for the magazine:

   'code for foreign calls'-358-0-781911

'358' should be code for Finland from outside.

Send corrections to there!

Now we have also proof that
Grandey really wants to turn Rosa down, no matter what.

Don:
You have posted before that $crooge was born in 1867. Is
this based on some actual story or did you made it up
yourself? But at least we know that Barks has made direct references
that $crooge was alive in 1880 and 1882.

          /Mikko