"Cannibalistic"

Archbishop MacElmo morrow at physics.rice.edu
Mon Jun 27 06:11:33 CEST 1994

Mikko Henri Juhani Aittola <maittola at snakemail.hut.fi> writes:
[Quoting Apu quoting Grandey:]
>  "Art of the story is very un-Disney and there is too much details
>even in the not-so-meaningful panels. The story is overdone, almost
>cannibalistic.

>The word cannibalistic is weird.

Probably in this case, it means that the work relies too much on previous
(Barks) stories: It "eats" its predecessors in order to have any life
itself.  It's just an odd English metaphor.  It does seem to me that
Lo$ is spending most of its time and effort dashing from Barks reference
to Barks reference (this is not necessarily negative criticism), but I've
only seen the first three chapters; later ones may have more individuality.

[Back to Grandey]
>Carl Barks wants to make clear that $crooge didn't
>born in 1877. How could he be about 60-years old in 1994 around
>Troja in Barks' new story if he is 117-years old?"

Too much thinking going on here.  Don writes stories set in 1954;
Barks writes a story in 1994 (which may or may not be set explicitly in 1994).
So what if they portray Scrooge at the same age?  Superman has been
29 for more than 50 years....

	greg
--
"I do like the idea of the Talking Death doll. Says six different phrases:
`I am Death', `One lifetime is all you get', `I've got a job to do, and I

elmo (morrow at physics.rice.edu,morrow at fnal.fnal.gov)