LIST of INTRODUC(K)TIONS (2nd ed.)

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Wed Mar 2 09:48:09 CET 1994

HELLO THERE, EVERY ONE ON THE "DISNEY-COMICS" LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the introduc(k)tion list again, and this is how it works: Following
this short statement by Your Oh-So-Humble Editor are all introduc(k)tions that
has been added since the previous edition, in their turn followed by all
biographies that have already appeared at least once. This means that those who
have already recieved at least one posting of this list need only read the
first part, but also that any newcomer will get the whole caboodle!

SO -- if YOU want to be on this list of the list -- send an introduc(k)tory
note about yourself to the undersigned at <Mattias.Hallin at Jurenh.lu.se>!

If YOU want to change your auto-biography -- just send me a new one, and say
so!!

AND -- if YOU wanna get OFF this list of the list, jes' say so, too!!!

All my Ducky Best!!!

                    Mattias

My name is Nikolaus Andresen, I was born Oct 7th 1970
in Braunschweig, Germany and at the moment I'm here
in Manchester/ UK as an ERASMUS-student, but
only until the end of March '94.
After that I'll go back to Braunschweig
althought I might live somewhere else from
Oktober 1994 on, because I'm planning to change
the University.
So now you know I'm studying, well it's Computer Science,
but I'm also interested in other things beside the
Computer, e.g. making music (guitar, piano), juggling
(sometimes even unicycling! - have you tried it? it's
great fun!) and of course COMICS!

Although I'm not a regular buyer of Disney comics
anymore (because I own the complete CBL edition),
I'm still interested in what's going on in
this area, especially I'm desperately waiting
for a Gottfredson edition to be published and
also a cheap edition of the Barks-oil-paintings!!!

Besides Barks and Gottfredson, I don't know many other
Disney artists; Al Taliaferro is another of my favourites,
I don't know much from Don Rosa, but the drawings are
definitely nice.

Other comics I like very much are 'Gaston' and 'Spirou
et Fantasio' by the belgish author Franquin, and
occasionally I read the german cartoon 'Das kleine Arschloch'
by Walter Moers (very nasty humour but funny!).

I think this might be enough for a short introduction,
thank you for your time,

Nikolaus.

My name is Jon Cato Lorentzen. I was born in 1972, and i figure this makes me
one of the youngest guys on this list. I am currently studying physics at the
University of Oslo, and plan to stay here for some years.

My interest in Duck comics began in 1977 when my dad began to buy the Donald
Duck comics to me every week. I soon became an avid collector and my dad
helped me sort all the comics and put them in Donald Duck albums. In 1978
i got my first introduction to Carl Barks when "Jeg, Donald Duck" was
released. This was an oversized book with classic Barks adventure stories.
I also learned about Floyd Gottfredson when Mickey Mouse stories (many banned
ones) were released in the same format. Since then I've been an avid collector
of both Duck & Mouse stories.
Currently I am buying all the Barks Library in Colour albums, and I get a
real kick once in a while when I find a Barks story that I haven't read. I
am also trying to collect all the Van Horn and Rosa stories released through
Gladstone and in Norway.

My other interests are varied. I often go to the movies, and I like to read
fiction. Mainly in the fantasy and horror genre. I also play role-playing
games with some friends once in a while. The only sporting activity you'll
ever catch me performing is soccer.

Jon C. Lorentzen

	"Uh-hyuck!  Uh-hyuh-hyuh-hyuck!"

	"Aw, fer gosh sakes!  Shut up, Goofy!"  >SWAT<

	I'm David Gerstein, single, male, 20, and Flippist -- er,
Jewish.  I've been a fan of the Ducks ever since 1979, when I bought a
trio of Whitman comics that included "Back to the Klondike" and "The
Not-So-Ancient Mariner".  Two years later, I spent weeks saving up all
of $20 and purchased the first book I had ever bought on my own, the
Abbeville Press MICKEY MOUSE collection by Floyd Gottfredson.

	I was hooked, but it didn't take me long to figure out that
Whitman's Barks stories were poorly-chosen, a lot of their other stuff
was rubbish, and that Abbeville's Gottfredson stories were mutilated.

	Then came Gladstone.  My liking of the Duck and Mouse clans
increased a hundredfold as I began to revel in the history of their
stories.  As the years passed, I became more and more interested in
these tales and their creators, until I had accumulated a large
reference library of the comics, their animated inspirations, and
dusty tomes about both.

	In 1988 I submitted my first Duck story to Gladstone, "The
Great Pie Promotion."  It was flatly rejected (and no wonder, when I
look at it now!), but after a lot of work, I'm now writing original
Duck and Mouse sagas for Egmont Publishing and doing American scripts
for many of the foreign stories Gladstone's printing.  Also, my
Egmont work will probably appear here, but no earlier than 1995.

	I am proud to call myself Floyd Gottfredson's greatest fan,
and have revelled in the Mouse Man's superb work for years.  Anyone
who dares comment that Mickey is the plaything of mealy-mouthed
infants in my presence is forced to read Gottfredson comics until they
revoke their scathing comment.  One day I hope to convince Disney to
allow reprint (hopefully by Gladstone) of the entire Gottfredson MM
adventure continuity 1930-1956, and if and when such a thing is
authorized, I hope to be among its editors.
	My least favorite modern Disney creators are generally the
Jaime Diaz Studio, particularly in their interpretation of Mickey
Mouse.   My favorite modern creator is Don Rosa, with Daan Jippes a
close second.  I also love the work of Romano Scarpa, though I feel
that his finest Mickey tales are behind him now.  I think Daniel
Branca is a superb artist, but his work varies with the quality of the
scripts he's given.

	My signature quote these days, "I'm the Fuller Brush Man!  I'm
givin' g'way free semple!" comes from the Disney cartoon, THE THREE
LITTLE PIGS, during which the Wolf reveals his Jewish heritage.  Like
Zeke himself, I too am a (definitely non-Kosher) Jew.  I love to find
examples -- like that one -- of Jewish cartoon characters appearing in
Disney product.  See any others?  Tell me about them!  NOW!  Or I'll
huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your _bayit_ in!  Thank you.

	Your friend,

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>

Well, my name is Mattias Hallin, I'm 29 years old (born in 1965), and work in
the administration of Lund University, Lund, Sweden, at the registrar's office
and in the University archives.

I majored in History, and also did some Archeaology and Anthropology/Ethnology.
I've tried my hand at a Ph.D. thesis in History, but has presently shelved that
project for reasons of gotta-eat.

Furthermore, I'm a part-time proof-reader, student and musician -- the latter
on banjo, guitar and to some extent cornet; I play Classic 1920's
Jazz/Traditional Jazz/Swing -- call it what you will, but don't call it
Dixieland! (The Word "Dixieland" should EITHER be a geographic term, OR denote
the music played by WHITE musicians FROM New Orleans, between c. 1915-1925.)

I'm a Carl Barks fan, ever since I was able to recognize "the good artist" --
and that was years before I knew his name! I'm also a board member of Swedish
Donaldistic association NAFS(k), and with my brother co-editor-in-chief of the
fanzine NAFS(k)uriren.

Also, I do have an adress: Mattias Hallin
                           Trollebergsvagen 24 B
                           S-222 29 Lund, SWEDEN
                           phone +46 46-14 84 43 (home)
                                 +46 46-10 71 37 (work)

"If yer ever down in Texas, look me up!" Any passing donaldist will find me
perenially ready to roll out the red carpet! "Come up and see me some time!
(Hic!) Come up and see me some time (Hic!)..."

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 07:01:13 -0500
From: dubach1 at husc.harvard.edu

Hello!  My name is Joev Dubach, and I'm a senior at Harvard (in the
easily-drawn snow-covered state of Massachusetts.)  I'm from Seattle, which I
naturally prefer to Boston (my hometown can beat your hometown!)  I'm working
on graduating with a degree in Math and Computer Science, after which I plan
to get a real job.  I found out about this list through the r.a.c. FAQ, being
a regular reader of racm, and, on a lark, decided to subscribe.  I haven't
bought a Disney comic since I was four feet tall, which is what drives me to
lurk; I just don't know that much.  But the wonderful discussion on this list
is driving me ever closer to trying some current Gladstones, and I'm
particularly intrigued by the discussion of The Life and Times of Scrooge
McDuck.  Does anyone have a recommended cheap starting point for Carl Barks'
Ducks?  There's so much of it out there, in very different forms and
intersecting contents, that I'm a bit daunted.  Anyhow, thanks for the
enlightening discussion!

(That should be enough of an introduction, I think.  Bye now!)

Joev

Name:  Marshall T. Allen, commonly called Mark
Born in Oak Ridge Tennesee, USA in 1954, moved to Maryland in 1957, and
currently live in Elkridge, Maryland, USA (SW of Baltimore).

Gainfully employed as a contract negotiator for the Johns Hopkins University's
Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Maryland, USA.

Interested primarily in the Ducks and the FG Mouse, but collect any Disney
comic I can afford.