April, May, and June

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Tue May 3 03:47:42 CEST 1994

	Dear Folks,

	Harry pointed out "one of the questions *I* never got
answered: what is April, May and June's *second* appearance? And when/
where did they get their names?"

	The _Comic Book Price Guide_, for years now, has listed a
Giant called DAISY DUCK AND UNCLE $CROOGE SHOWTIME as being the FIRST
appearance of the nieces.  It's from 1960, I believe.  This is Kjell
Crone's index for that comic (no mention of the nieces here):

W Gia  33 FC  1  US+DA TS Bill and butterfly
W Gia  33 01 16  DA+US TS PICNIC TIME                         KA 613102
W Gia  33 02 10  GG    JB BAD DEED CLUB'S ANNUAL PICNIC
W Gia  33 03  6  CD    PM BEAR BAGGERS                        KA 612003
W Gia  33 04  6  GD    AH DOING THE TOWN                      KA 613005
W Gia  33 05 10  GO    JB THE BIG CARVE                       KA 612404
W Gia  33 06 10  DD    AH THE SONG SEARCHERS                  KA 611701
W Gia  33 07  6  PL    JB THE DANCING DOG                     KA 612002
W Gia  33 08  8  DA+US AH HAVE PENCIL,WILL TRAVEL             KA 613503

	My guess is that this may be the first time that the nieces
were NAMED, leading to the confusion in Overstreet's guide.  I
actually do not recall the nieces being addressed by name in the
earlier DDD issue in which they appeared (in a single story, "A Sticky
Situation").

	The idea of pairing Daisy and Scrooge has to be one of the
weirder ones, although the single one drawn by Barks (the one in which
she takes over for Scrooge when he gets stuck in his "money chute") is
pretty good, particularly when you realize he didn't write it.

	That's my 0.02.  I can't really contribute anything else,
because I don't collect late-1950's Dells... I prefer to buy the 1940s
ones, simply because I prefer the non-Barks stories of that era to the
later non-Barks stories.

	Yours,

	David Gerstein

	"Uncle Scrooge was his usual charming self!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>