Disney characters

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Thu Nov 3 14:06:43 CET 1994

David Gerstein writes about Gladstone:

> However, they DID insist that Goofy be redrawn from a 1937 Goofy (as he

> was originally drawn in the story) to a 1951 Goofy (a la Murry), saying

> that the 1930s Goof wasn't compatible with the 1950s Ducks.

Argh!  I recently wrote a letter to Gladstone about this, but someone else
should point out to them that although the Duck's "Golden age" is probably
the 1950's, the best era for the mouse characters is the 1930's!  I don't
think there's any incompatibility in having a 1930's Goof with 1950's
ducks at all - it's merely showing the definitive (and best!) forms of all
the characters involved...  They mentioned this same things in the latest
letter column in D&M - something about "Paul Murray creating the
definitive Mickey" or something like that "decades after Barks created the
definitive Ducks."  Given this mistake on their part, no wonder they are
incapable of publishing good Mouse stories!