Character cross-overs

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Mon Nov 7 02:26:54 CET 1994

Character cross-overs
---------------------
     After I wrote my last letter, a few more stories have come to my mind.
It's a few stories with Captain Crook. In one of them he's fighting
against Donald and Gyro Gearloose about a treasure. The duck and the
chicken are testing a flying boat, when they pass Crook's ship. The birds
wins the  fight, because Gyro is making a small plane from the gold,
which he tows with the boat. This is published in the Norwegian "Donald
Ducks store show" (something like "The big show of Donald Duck") in 1962.
At least I think it's from 62. It doesn't say when it's published.
     The other one... no, that's actually two quite similar stories. They
both feature Madam Mim and Captain Crook, and one of them also features
the Beagle Boys. In both of them Madam Mim is in love with Crook. He's not
too enthusiastic about her...
     In one of them Minnie Mouse is directing a scene play of Cinderella.
She's having problems finding the right actors. Mim convinces her to use
her as Cinderella by transforming herself into a beautiful girl. The
prince is played by Crook. When the prince (Crook) is about to enter the
stage to kiss Cinderella, he asks Minnie who that beautiful girl is. Minnie
tells him, and Crook shouts "Madam Mim!". Mim suddenly transforms into
herself and answer "Yes, Crook, my love!".
     These are not Egmont stories, so I guess they're studio stories.

Then there is one of the stories from the old days, where Mickey is
running a cafe. One day the famous pirate Peg Leg Pete comes to the place,
and is soon arrested. He leaves a chest in the cafe, which Mickeys friend
Gyro Gearlose tells Mickey he can open to find money to pay Pete's bill.
In the chest they find a map, which shows an island with a treasure.
Gyro hires a ship, which cook is Captain Crook.
On the island they find Goofy, who was a member of Pete's crew, but was
left there because Pete was tired of his stupidity.

A story which I'm quite sure never will see a reprint in the U.S. is a
story featuring Goofy and Davy Crocket. This one is published in Norway in
the late fifties. It starts with Goofy almost dying from thirst, crawling
on the ground, when Davy Crocket (he's a child) pass by. He tells Goofy
that he's crawling along a small river. The story includes fighting and
trading with indians. Goofy is often making a lot of trouble, because he
has to, in his own mind, carry a big collection of stones.
     The indians in the story aren't only hostile, but theyr'e quite
stupid too.

I don't remember any stories which mentions real world people, but I
remember one story featuring real human beings. It was published in
Norway in the  late sixties (probably 1967). I haven't looked at the
story for a while, but as I remember it, the style looks like Paul Murry.
It features Mickey Mouse, Goofy and a box which makes people (and mice)
invisible. The story takes place in Venice. Mickey and Goofy are hired as
agents by some intelligence organization, and are tested, and trained before
the mission. Goofy is offered to have a radio transmitter put into one of
his front teeth. He doesn't like the thought...

BTW: Is Freddy Milton's story, "The Big Sneeze" (H8001), ever published
in Scandinavia?

And Euro-Disney is, according to BBC World Business News, still losing
money. Europe != USA.

   Jorgen