David's story, Fethry ++

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Fri Oct 14 21:12:04 CET 1994

David:
>      Actually I was inspired by the very first Branca-drawn story I
>ever saw:  "The Robot Raiders of Magica De Spell" (US 210, 1986).  In
>that one, Magica invented robots that looked like her.

I can't remember having seen that, but then... I haven't read the
DD&Co from that time to close. I didn't think they were to bad at
the start of the 80s, but later they just became more worse for
every year, until they suddenly changed in the late 80s (guess
whose stories started to appear at that time :-)

I _do_ remember a story from the late 60s though, were Donald is
copied by aliens (Strobl, I think).
There are of course also a lot of Italian stories where characters
are copied.

The fight between the witches in David's story reminded me about
something. I think it must be a short story from the 60s were Magica
and Mad Madam Mim work together to steal the dime. It's not one of the
stories were they live together in a castle.
Magica realize that she isn't able to do the job alone, and therfore
asks Mim to help her. Mim doesn't see any reason why she should work
together with a second class witch like Magica, and then they start
a little fight to impress each other.

David:
>In English:  "But you could use *another*
>shark!  Double the effectiveness, you know!"  "Double?!  Did you say
>DOUBLE?"  "That's what I said!"

That's almost the same words as in the Norwegian version.

David again:
>Someone mentioned the Mickey/Goofy "Zoom Transport" stories.
>It may interest you that production of these will soon grind almost
>to a halt

That certainly interest me! Whatever they use instead, it can't be
worse. Oh, just read the first issue of Disney Afternoon. Maybe it
_can_...

David:
>In fact, I personally have only seen a handful of
>Fethry stories from Egmont, all of them 1-pagers.

There was a story with Fethry in DD&Co quiet recently. Four or five
pages, or something like that. The story wasn't too bad, but I'm not
so sure I like the art. I don't know who draw it, but I've seen the
same style in some stories with Mad Madam Mim and Brer Rabbit (no, they
do not appear in the same stories...).

Harry:
>BTW, Fredrik: Ludwig Von Drake is called Donald Dingue in French.]

And in Norway he is called Raptus von Rupp, not Ludwig von Duck.

David:
>      Let's see -- Mickey is trying to straighten a pipe.  Gives
>Goofy a wrench, then holds up the pipe and says, "When I nod my head,
>you hit it with the hammer."  BONK!  Methinks one Mouse should have
>defined "it" a little more carefully.  ;-)

I'm impressed!
Guess Don like this one ;-)

   Jorgen A. Bangor (jorgenb at ifi.uio.no)