Scripting

James Williams James_Williams at ESS.NIAID.pc.niaid.nih.gov
Tue Oct 25 21:19:35 CET 1994

Jorgen,

>You don't have to explain to the penciler how Scrooge looks like, of
>course, but do you explain everything else? Do you make a scetch of
>the panel, for instance?

No, I don't make sketchs.  This use to be a very common requirement
for "funny animal" writers.  Mark Evanier has said that this was
a standard requirement when he worked for Gold Key.  [Aside: Does
anyone know what Mickey Mouse stories he wrote?]  Archie Comics still
requires this.  I'm pretty sure that Don Rosa uses this format.

What I do is describe the panel in words.  Here is an example.  This is
the first panel from a 10 page Uncle Scrooge story entitled "Loose
Change".

=====
PANEL 1.

This half-page panel shows SCROOGE McDUCK, sitting behind his desk in
the Moneybin, talking to DONALD DUCK, HUEY, DEWEY, and LOUIE.  The
Number One Dime is in its glass case behind SCROOGE; coins and ledger
books cover his desk.  The vault door, closed and locked, takes up most
of one wall.  At least one window is visible.

1.  HUEY:                ARE YOU *SURE* YOU WON'T--

2.  DEWEY:               --COME TO THE *RODEO* WITH US--

3.  LOUIE:               --UNCA SCROOGE?

4.  SCROOGE:             WHY WOULD I *PAY* TO WATCH SOMEONE RIDE A
                         HORSE?
=====

James Williams