Dick Moores

Mark Mayerson mayerson at sidefx.sidefx.com
Fri Sep 30 16:01:43 CET 1994

> Interesting, I didn't realize that Dick Moores did newspaper work for
> Disney.  I also never realized that Jose Carioca was popular enough in
> the US to have his own Sunday strip.  Were these published in the US or
> were they done for foreign markets?  The newspaper work must have been
> contagious because when Dick Moores left Disney, he created his own comic
> strip called 'Gasoline Alley'.

Gasoline Alley was created by Frank King around 1919.  Moores started
working on it as an assistant to King in the 1950's.  He first took
over the daily strip and then took over the Sundays as well.

This may be one of the few cases where somebody continuing a strip
was as good, though different, than the originator.  Moore's work on
Gasoline Alley is incredible and it's actually easier to find reprints
of Moore's work than it is King's.

It's hard to know how much Moores learned at Disney and how much was
his natural approach, but he did terrific characterizations and his drawing
was extremely solid.  While he used a relatively simple style, his
perspectives and compositions were all well worked out.