Disney-comics digest #743.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Aug 4 06:00:00 CEST 1995

AUGIE:
        I haven't seen a copy of $CROOGE #294, but I'm not surprised you may
have liked it. It's usually cited as the best episode of the series strictly
from the standpoint of "entertainment". It's one of the only episodes which
takes place in one day or close to it, rather than over 5-10 years! I didn't
have lots of deadwood stuff to accomplish, just tell a tale.
        Though I haven't seen it, I've already receivbed some calls from
around the country from happy readers... but one caller happened to make a
comment that lead to the discussion of the coloring. I never suspected after
all these years that the photostats of my art that Gladstone gets from
Europe DO NOT have color notes in the margins as they should have! As a
result, the American battleships and the Rough Riders' uniforms are all
colored DRASTICLY WRONG. Perhaps only history buffs will notice, but I put
SO much effort into research, and FILLED the art margins with intricate
coloring notes... and to what use? Strangely, they colored it all correctly
around Europe, as careless as they are with coloring over there.
        But in 1902 American battleships were BEAUTIFUL things to see! The
hulls were pure white with a bright red band at the waterline, and the upper
superstructure being all buffy tan. And Gladstone managed to color the Rough
Riders' clothing backwards at a wild guess (all they had to do was call me!)
Their costumes were supposed to be dark blue shirts, and brown
everything-else, except their bandanas which would all be different colors
as they were added by the individuals. The WORK that I put into that! I
mean, all the photos of stuff from 1902 is B&W, so it was with NO SMALL
EFFORT that I hunted down all the true color schemes! Well, naturally I'm
the only reader that these awful coloring goofs will bother... but I haven't
seen the issue yet to know what ELSE might distress me...(shudder). We'll
get it right in the reprints!