Disney-comics digest #755.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Aug 16 15:07:00 CEST 1995

DWIGHT:
        As much as I respect translators (and colorists and letterers and
all the people who work on these stories, making bad stories look good and
good stories look great), I would not say that translators are anonymous
drudges. In the European Disney comics, the translators get credit for their
work in the comic indicia, but the people who actually did the writing,
pencilling and inking of all the stories get NO credit. I try to take the
lack of "creator" credits in an existential attitude, but it rankles me that
the translators and editors get their names in print, while the people who
created the work they are handling are ignored. Either all credits should be
listed, or none.
        Of course, there might be legal reasons for all this, so I hear. I'm
told that European law dictates that creators are due royalties for their
work and part ownership, whereas this would not apply to editorial workers.
But then, some publishers list me as the artist/writer of one of my stories
now and then, and the world doesn't explode. So I really don't know why they
credit the editorial staff but still not the creative people.
        But someday all these "Disney system" problems will surely be
rectified and the system will be brought into the 1970s. >