From RoC

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen lrn at daimi.aau.dk
Wed Feb 1 16:00:54 CET 1995

 Fabio wrote (with David as my witness) on Dec.17.th. about...
> all the things I have to send you, Ole: they will leave next week.
 To my daily disappointment nothing has arrived. Did you send it?
In spite of turning 30 in the process, I can assure you that I am
alive and well, and unusually liquid these days; up here we call it
'universal(ly) solvent':)

Harry:
> I did not get a *recent* letter from you, about tree-structures or anything.
> [...] files on ftp, I limited the size of a file to 64K. [...] will contain
> 7 files, the Dutch 16, the Gladstone index 6, and the Western (Dell/Gold Key)
> index will contain 18 files!
 My current version of the Danish Index [...] subdirectory [...]
AA.DK, MM.DK, OJ.DK [...] ISO-646 [...] column 32 [...] simple.
 Actually, I don't even have regular access to a terminal or PC
at all right now, but I *will* *SOON* acquire a such item.
Or die trying.
 I'm hoping to talk to you on a more regular basis than this on it.

 Jacob asked the list:
> Where should this info [index data] be stored (should it?)?
> I suppose some reformatting is needed, but what?
 ...and you have contacted me a couple of times, offering your help
with indexing the Danish pocket books. You are very welcome,
a huge personal e-mail should reach you along with this.

Re: "The Croesus Mess" vs. "Horse in a Hurry"
 Mikko:
>    Your "Treasury of Croesus" was also printed in the Finnish Donald Duck
> issue 1/1995, which [...] "Horsing around with history" was in.
 Don:
> They put my "Treasury of Croesus" story in the same issue with
> Barks' "Horsing Around with History"? Very interesting. [...]
> When I did my story over a year ago, I had no idea [...]
> [...] I'm very interested in that!
 Me both too; I wasn't even *asked* to renew my subscription...
 Comparing D 94003 and D94012 I find the similarities striking,
with an overwhelming overweight in Don's favor. The central scenes,
for instance, with Troy respective Lydia revisited and Treasure Found,
were as memorable in ToC as (disappointingly) rapidly read and forgotten
in HAwH. Now Schliemann, wasn't he the one who dug out Mykene?
There are some old - probably Egmont owned - scripts about Agamemnon
and his merry family that really needs new dialogue and an artist!
:)
Fredrik:
> Van Horn should stick to the gag-filled ten-to-twelve
> pagers that he is best at.
 Ditto too.
I noticed in Carl Barks & Co. that Barks had originally wanted Daan Jippes
to draw the story, but that Egmont told Barks that Jippes was 'unavailable',
i.e. not working for Egmont at the moment...
But now Jippes knows that he's Barks' first choise for his next story(!)
Stop press: Just in today; an interesting WvH U$ serial from 1992!

David:
> [...] my first Duck story of the year. [...] use Moe in my stories,
> [..] send me a [...] story with Moe [...] show Egmont how to draw him.
 The latest publication I know of with him is Danish 'Super Extra 8'
which reprints 'Hiding in Trainrobber's Gulch' (S 1014!?)
I'm looking forward to a revival of this memorable character.
Paulo:
> About FAQs about Moe and Fethry:  good idea!  I hope all
> users will approve them.
 I already have a Paperinik (no English name yet?) FAQ ready, and could
dig up some data on those mentioned. Other creatures discussed recently
- Ellmore, Moby Duck and the legion of illegitimate nephews - would be
nice to have too.

Business is rotten in Denmark:
 We happy people of Brutopia know no rare duck-books as such. Second hand
shops sell weeklies about ten years back at about a quarter, and with
pesistence you can dig out 20 year old issues. From the mid-sixties and
back they cost from a dollar to maybe a couple of hundred bucks - first
issue only and declining rapidly for the following, as the first couple of
volumes have been photographically reprinted.
 Otherwise only the popular Jumbo Books (264 paged full color monthly
pocket book at approximately 4.95$) are reprinted (and kept at stock).
 The hardcover Xmas pocket previously discussed here has replaced the
BIG white books. I guess sales had dropped with overall quality;
the 20 books published since 1974 were priced from 15 to 50$, and
instead of Barks, Taliaferro, Murry and Gottfredson the later books
were no more than glorified Jumbos - reformatted to 6 strips...
These, as well as the so far 11 Golden Books with pure Barks, are
hard to come by.

 Not much of a merchandize fan, my mind drifted during the discourse
on bubblegum vendors. I was wondering if the booming trade/game card
industry had approached Disney for a licence. The only card I have is
Yellowbeak. Is he a flying creature, wooden leg and all?

>    "Sure, they burned the building, but the                   <
>     books were already checked out."                          <
>   It's the greatest storehouse of knowledge ever known,       <
>   and it's been guarded and enlarged, in greatest secrecy,    <
>   for more than a thousand years.                             <
    The Library at Alexandria,
     Steve Jackson's Illuminati - New World Order

   #### Ole 'RoC' Reichstein Nielsen att. lrn at daimi.aau.dk ####