Van Horns latest $crooge story

Fredrik Ekman ekman at lysator.liu.se
Tue Feb 7 18:39:36 CET 1995

Minor spoilers on Van Horn's latest ahead. You have been warned!

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Jorgen_Andreas_Bangor wrote:
> - Uncle Scrooge (D92206, 8+ pages). Willian van Horn.

Ah, I think I am really going to like this one. It certainly starts off
promisingly. I would even dare calling the plot original, even though
there have been some Italian stories based on Scrooge loosing his memory
and trying to compete with himself. The most notable that I can remember
is called "Trefaldigt enfaldigt" in Swedish (which means "Threefold
Stupid", but is also an untranslatable pun). It was published in KAP 59,
28 pages. No code, but the letters "AM" can be found in the lower left
corner of the first page. Wonder what that means? The artist is almost
certainly Scarpa.

But back to the Van Horn story: The difference between this and other
similar stories is the relatively long time span. There are also plenty
of differences regarding details, so I would guess that Van Horn (or
whoever wrote the script) has not been influenced by the Italians here.
The pace is much slower than normal for Van Horn, but the script is good
enough to make up for that and even the art (lacking in detail, as usual)
does not suffer too much.

It would seem to me that this is Van Horn's first true multi-parter?

> I think I start to like van Horn. The art is much better (and more relaxed)
> than it used to be. Maybe he's trying to get more like Jippes (and Barks)...

I certainly hope not. One of the things I like best about both Van Horn
and our own Don Rosa is that both have a different and original style.
Van Horn trying to copy Barks can only become worse, in my opinion. What
do you mean by "relaxed", by the way?

  /F