Barks Library Re-Inking

JALustig@aol.com JALustig at aol.com
Mon Jul 10 06:40:49 CEST 1995

Greg Kay:

You asked about why there's such a difference in quality between the
re-inking of the two stories in one of the Barks color albums. I've been told
Daan Jippes did all of one of those two stories--"Race to the South Seas" I
assume--and started the other. For some reason Jippes wasn't able to complete
the other story and it had to be turned over to one or more artists.

Jippes is a wonderful artist in his own right. In addition, when it comes to
creating something in a Barksian style, Jippes is probably the best there is.
Still, having to redraw something in someone else's style--and do an exact
recreation of an original--has got to be a laborious process. In any event,
I've heard that the reason Yippes bailed out on the second story is that the
project was starting to wear him out. If that's true then I can't say I blame
him.

--John Lustig