Per, Mike and Don

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Fri Jul 14 01:45:23 CEST 1995

PER:

> Original, shmoriginal -- I want the comics!

Well, if you want Barks' original art, the CBL are the books you need
to get 99% of them in a condition that is better than their first
printing.

> Actually I do like to have some original Barks comics, even though
> I haven't bought many of them, but CBL is just reprints anyway, so
> I wouldn't care about what edition it is, as long as it's the same
> contents.

Like I said in 99% of the stories the CBL don't just *reprint*, they
give us a print that is better than before. But I really got bothered
with that 1 percent:

I think they somehow feel ashamed to publish Barks-stories with faded
lines, adding those bad-looking thick lines to fill it in. That's
what I really hate. I rather prefer a somewhat bad-looking reprint of
the original, than a good looking "forged" print. That is the problem
I have with the CBL. The CBL is very good, but could have been a lot
better...

MIKE:

>> Welkom in deze fraaie Disney-club! (But let's talk further in

> "Welcome to this ?????? Disney-club"? What does 'fraaie' mean?
>  And I don't even speak Dutch!

A translation could be: Welcome to this nice Disney-club!

>> Hmm, I don't think I can agree with that. Writing "fictional"
>> stories doesn't mean you also can write *bad* stories.

> Right. Many people seem to confuse the words "super-natural" and
> "illogical" these days. Just because anything can happen, doesn't
> mean that it shouldn't have a logical explanation. A girl from my
> school class wrote a fictional essay about a "House of Horrors". A
> cut from the story: "In the room she saw only a made bed and a
> small table next to it. And on the bed was an apple. When she
> looked at the apple it begun to age and rot noticably. It's peel
> dried and inside the apple came worms." And so on. I made a notice
> that the story was rather illogical, because the apple should've
> been on the table rather than on the bed (there were many other
> small details that bugged me). (...) There is nothing supernatural
> about having an apple on the bed!

I'm pleased that you agree with me, but the example you're using
doesn't make that clear. I don't know what reason the girl had to put
the apple on the bed, maybe there was a certain artistic "feeling" to
do that. I understand what you mean, but you don't make that clear
with using samples of a story I don't know in it's complete form.

MIKE (to Harry):

At first I have to say that Harry won't be here among us for two
weeks. He will be back in early August.

> Umm... What was "Message for Venus" like? Is it the one with
> giant people living there and the ducks move the big Earth guy
> there too?

Yes, that's the one.

>> I don't like the Beagle Boys having personalities! In the old
>> Barks stories, they are very much alike.

> I think they should have personalities. (...) And anyway, I think
> Barks gave (or tried to give) the Beagleboys some personalities: He
> had a one who was very fond of prunes. And in an other story all
> the BB have different skills and education.

Yeah, I agree that Barks gave them some kind of personality. But I
think some recent (Danish) stories make them too "stereotypical" (is
that the right word?). Now you have a hungry one, a smart one, etc. I
don't think they're very "human" that way.

>     "Ook welkom namens mij"? Be welcome XXXXXX of mine?

"Also welcome on behalf of me."

DON:

> People always asked me how I had the guts to take on Barks'
> characters. (...) I'll never be 1/100th as much a legend as Barks,
> so I can never be disappointed.

Please Don, stop that. You and Barks use the same universe, so what?
Why should a good universe be left alone, just because one famous
"legend" started it? And to me you're not "just copying" his
universe, you also made it a universe of your own. For example you're
using your own kind of humor. To my opinion it's that same "absurd"
humor you used in your "Captain Kentucky's": Anything can happen, but
it still remains logical (and of course: IT'S VERY FUNNY!).

You make (at least me) enjoy your stories just as I do the ones made
by Barks. Yeah, you're following his facts, but I see that as a
continuation rather than just copying. The main similarity that you
have with Barks is that you both have "the right feeling" to make
good stories.

And no, you'll never be "1/100th as much a legend as Barks". Why not?
Because you're *Don Rosa*, and I'm glad you are. So, keep up doing the
good work and you'll be a legend of your own.

Greetings,

--- Daniel