Disney-comics digest #726.

Larry Gerstein gerstein at math.ucsb.edu
Tue Jul 25 00:45:28 CEST 1995

        ANDY:
>Is Walt Disney Giant the new name for Uncle Walt's Collectory?
        Yes, that's right.  Someone else asked if this comic had a variety
of stories or just stories about one character in each issue.  It has a
variety of stories, with the less-famous Disney characters in the back
(there's a Three Pigs story in the first issue -- quite good).  Those
less-famous characters used to be in the middle of WDC&S until a few years
ago, and by all reports they'll be returning there this fall... so maybe WD
GIANT will change a bit then.

        MIKE:
>        Thank you for the information you gave me. Are the personalities [for
>>the three leading Beagle Boys] used by you also used by some others (as in
>>'Perilous Portrait')?
        Well, the smart-dumb-hungry trio concept is as much as Egmont gives
writers, and if anyone wants to broaden their individual personas further,
it seems to be fine by them.  As I've noted, the better Egmont stories
published by Gladstone and Disney tend to move in that direction (yes,
including "Perilous Portrait").
>        The other ones like the prunes too, then?
        Yes, but 761 is the one who'll... well (see below)
> Doesn't he ever get fat by eating them?
        I don't think prunes are high in fat.  As for what happens to 761
when he eats too many of them, that... that... that isn't usually discussed
in Disney comics, for obvious reasons.
> Is he greedy towards food only?
        Well, that's how I interpret him.  In fact, I have leader 176-167
be the one who's the most motivated by money, loot, etc. although of course
the others are... they're bandits, after all!
> When [176-761] is hungry, and he sees a shop selling bananas ten feet away
>and >a shop selling prunes a thousand feet away, which one would he steal
>from?
        The International House of Prunes, or whatever it was called.  ;-)
At least in my opinion.
>>        176-671 is the dumb one.
>        Not the strong one as well?
        Well, maybe... I've never really dwelt on that one.  (Although in
my "Rolling in Dough," the Beagles accidentally get locked in a room with
thick walls and fortified doors, and they CAN'T get out -- well, through
their own physical strength, that is.)
>        Will they be out from Egmont? And if, then when?
        "Rolling in Dough" is being drawn by Vicar, even as we speak, so
maybe in eight months or so?  On the other hand, I just turned in the
script for "Fouled-Up Fairy Tale" so we won't see it for a year and a half,
or so.

        DANIEL:
        "Peaceful hills: Does the CBL use the original art?"
        Yes, it's the original.

        JAKOB:
        I got your package today!  I'll have some things to say soon, but
I'm not through looking yet...

        EVERYONE:
        Back next week after the Convention!  I'll be visiting with Fabio
Gadducci there, as well as hosting that panel discussion.

        David Gerstein
        <gerstein at math.ucsb.edu>
        "Have a chestnut, boys! . . . OW!"

gerstein at math.ucsb.edu