Lost Scrooge-cartoon

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Tue Jun 6 01:40:57 CEST 1995

PAULO:

>>Did you know that Barks also made a script for a Scrooge cartoon,
>>... The cartoon was never made.

>         Why not?  I was baffled for long years (before DuckTales) since
> I felt there were no $crooge cartoons - except for the particular cases
> mentioned in the message.  Maybe Disney thought $crooge was sort of an
> "uncartoonish" character...

You're right, the artist couldn't get away with the character Scrooge
(as Barks meant him). They tried several sketches, before the film
was abadoned. Barks made 9 pages with drawings for the cartoon
(together with a synopsis of the story).

Barks himself visited the studio several times by then, to see the
progress. (Being the creator of Scrooge he was asked by the studio to
make the script.)

The 9 pages are lost, the synopsis still exists. The synopsis is
printed in the Carl Barks Library, together with lots of information
about the cartoon (and why it was abadoned).

The cartoon was about Scrooge being disturbed by a mice in his
moneybin. Donald was the only other character featured in it.

> The animated Scrooge only had a brief appearance in Disney's
> TV show in the fifties.

>> Which one?

I really don't know. I will check up the C.B.L., *if* they mention
anything about *when* Scrooge appeared briefly in the show...
Do you have tapes of those shows?

Have a nice day!

--- Daniel