Horsing Around with History

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Sun Jun 11 02:30:05 CEST 1995

Hi all!

Maybe I'm the last one here who red the new Barks adventure. There
has already been a lot of talking about it. But I sure like to tell
you what I think of the story.

At first I think this *is* a Barks story. I think the plot is very
good. If Barks would have worked with this plot in his productive
days, it would have been a memorable story. But there are sure some
mistakes in it (apart from Van Horn's art).

---

At first I think the story has a very slow beginning, the logic order
of Barks' stories isn't there anymore. I think the part of the story
in which Scrooge's button is stolen and then replaced is *much* to
long. It has also too much "camera-switchings".

*After seven pages* the story itself begins! Those 7 pages could have
been much shorter and more logical. The switching of the buttons
(introducing the albatros and Beagle Boys) could have been *much*
shorter, less than two (logical!) pages. After that the story would
have been ready to "go", with introducing the ship and after that the
leaving.

What I also find illogical here was the tailors eat prunes, which
remembers the nephews of the Beagle Boys... but then at the same time
the whole suspection is gone because "maybe all tailors like prunes!"
What??? Is *that* a reason? Are these kids the three ducks which
suspected almost *everything* in the past?

Barks could have been far more subtile in thinking about a clear way
to introduce the Beagle Boys, the albatross and "a certain smell" (a
smell that's need for the ending). The idea is good, but it's very
bad worked out.

---

The second illogical part is the one in which the ducks discover a
message. It's a *cryptical* S.O.S. What?? How can you get more
illogical? You want to be rescued and then you write a riddle instead
of a clear "Help! I'm at that position."? No wonder those men had to
wait thousands of years... and it's also illogical because a part of
the plot is that Scrooge gets this treasure as a *gift*.

Barks easily could have scrapped that part, making the story much
easier to read, more condensed and much "stronger".

---

As far as I know, Barks made only a written synopsis of the story. If
he would have sketched the story, he would have seen the story isn't
very logical in these parts. I think that Barks wasn't only a story-
teller, but also a *composer*. His stories were like symphonies.

His earlier working methods were: writing a story, scripting a story,
sketching a story (and then finally drawing the story by pencilling
those sketches). In those phases he used the chance to get away with
flaws in a story. Now the story got stuck in the earliest phase.

So, my opinion of the story is: Plot *very* good and *very* original,
story (as it now is) very bad. It's sad in a way: Barks could have
surprised and impressed the world with his last story (almost 30
years after his retirement), but he *didn't*.

--- Daniel, still a Barks fan ;-)