Santa Claus stuff (it's the season for it...)

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Wed May 10 18:14:27 CEST 1995

I said:
> The REAL Santa Claus is of course Sinterklaas, who lives in Spain!

Mike:
> 	That's absurd! What's he doing in Spain then?-o Swimming in sun-shine
> and feeding Rudolph the Bull?->

To bring the subject back to Disney comics: there was a Dutch Donald Duck
weekly, some years ago, which actually showed Sinterklaas sun-bathing in
Spain, wearing only his shorts! Not in a comic story, but in a "Duckburg
Times", the "newspaper" that is in DD weekly sometimes.

<non-disney>
Sinterklaas is short for "Sint Nicolaas", the bishop of Myra (Turkey) who
was good for children. The American Santa Claus is a combination of the Dutch
Sinterklaas and the English (and other country's) "Father Christmas".
As far as I know, the whole north pole and reindeer thing is an American
invention. Sinterklaas has a white horse, and a servant called Zwarte Piet
("Black Pete").
</non-disney>

--Harry.