Nuts for Nutmeg

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Fri Nov 24 21:21:15 CET 1995

Howdy folks,

Just decloaking here to jump in to an almost off-topic topic.

Kathy, Daniel, Don, Mattias, et al...

A decade or so ago it was the rage to brand any comic that mentioned drugs
in any fashion as a "drug" issue.  This seemed more like a ploy among
speculators as an excuse to charge more for that particular issue.  So when
someone told me that "A Spicy Tale" was a drug issue because $crooge was
addicted to nutmeg, I laughed it off as a joke and forgot about it.  Then I
started reading the discussion here.

By odd coincidence, my wife and I are currently taking a class titled
"Herbs, Spices, and Medicinal Plants."  Just this week the instructor
talked about nutmeg and described how it is used as a drug.  The was it was
used, however, is not by eating it; it is freshly ground and inhaled which
produces a hallucinatory effect.  (I imagine you start to visualize
pink elephants sipping eggnog and eating pumpkin pie. <g>)

While $crooge wasn't inhaling the nutmeg, it could have a different effect
on a duck's metabolism than it does human's.  Perhaps a duck may become
addicted just by ingestion?

Tryg

Tryg Helseth  <trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>   Minneapolis, MN, USA
          or  <tryg.helseth at tstation.com>

"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!"  -the Beach Drakes