April 1, lemmings and indexes

Bror Hellman hellman at proxxi.uf.se
Thu Oct 5 14:54:02 CET 1995

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

> Brings up another question, which I have since I saw the English
> version of the story: Is fooling each other on 1 April a worldwide
> tradition?
>
> I used to think it was typical Dutch...

It's very thoroughly anchored in Sweden... When I was small we used to
have these nursery rhymes like: "April, april, din dumma sill, jag kan
lura dig vart jag vill." Which (roughly) translates into: "April, april,
you stupid herring, I can fool you (to go) where *I* want."

An every april 1st all the newspapers and all the television news-programs
will include at least one attempt to fool you.

Classical foolings from the Swedish history of April 1st:

Put a ladies stocking over your black and white TV to turn it into colour.
How to convert a coffee-machine into a vodka-machine...
The whole kingdom of Denmark sold to Norwegian oil-sheik. (This even
fooled a Norwegian news-paper...) They even suggested that he paid it all
in herring and cheese!

--

                    Steamboat Willie

They say that you should never introduce a rope golem to a succubus.
                    -- A fortune cookie in the game NetHack