Heyerdahl, Ingstad and Columbus

Bjorn-Are.Davidsen@s.prosjekt98.telenor.no Bjorn-Are.Davidsen at s.prosjekt98.telenor.no
Thu Oct 19 22:27:27 CET 1995

Re: D-code

David:

I guess this has been submitted several times already (the disadvantage
of having someone like me receiving the Disney- Comics in digest format
and not as individual messages), however to make sure Gladstone may
get no excuse for delaying publication, I'll boldly venture forth and reveal
that the D-code of "The Lost Charts of Columbus" is D94144.

Re: Heyerdahl, Ingstad - and Columbus

Don:

Its great to see you keep up your historical interests and planning more
stories on Columbus! Looking forward to reading it, as it will provide more
 excuses for unlurking.

Regarding Norwegians and publicity I have not seen any so far touching
the Columbus story (there may be some though, as I'm not a frequent
reader of weekly magazines nort the tabloids). However its true about the

> currently hot public debate between the elderly Thor Heyerdahl and
 > some other famous, elderly Norwegian historian/explorer (the guy who
 >discovered the Viking settlement in Newfoundland) about who actually
 > discovered America..

This has been in the large very non-tabloid  Norwegian newspaper
Aftenposten, based on the Swedish chartographer Per Lilliestroms
research of a Portugese map seemingly showing a 1477 exploration of
Greenland and the Northeastern shores of Canada.

Lots of interesting things to this theory of how the Portugese may have
taken the last of the Norse poplulation as slaves and traded them to the
Canary islands, where some  wood ornaments are supposed to be in the
form of "Norse dragons".

Now, Heyerdahl has presented this theory in a preface to an new edition
of one of his latest book. And the opponent is Helge Ingstad, an (believe
it or not) even more incredible viking descendant than mr. Heyerdahl.
While Heyerdahl is still in his youthfull 80's (born 1914) and going on
writing books, excavating pyraminds and doing Indian tribal dances in
Peru (having retired for a period from sea traveling on wooden rafts and
such), Ingstad has become a mature man of 96 (born 1899) relaxing from
a hard life by partcipating in court trials in favor of his daughter as well as
news paper discussions.

Both H. and I. have led lives which should provide material for lots of plots
for you, Don and other artists. As H. may be well known (Fatu Hiva, Kon
Tiki, Aku Aku, Ra, Tigris a.s.o.), I'll elaborate a bit on I.

Ingstad was originally a lawyer who left his lawbooks and took up life as a
trapper in North Western Canada (around Great Bear Lake and such) in
the 20's for several years, living among indians and raindeer (later writing
several books and novels about this). Then he became leader of the
Norwegian expedition who reconquered Greenland from the evil Danish
in the early 30's before international law decided the land was to belong
to the Danish after all (even if originally Norwegian until Denmark and
Norway bacame an union in the 14th century). Then he was headman on
Spitsbergen for several years (writing books on Greenland and
Spitsbergen), before going to Arizona and Mexico to visit the Apaches.
He led a smal expedition to discover "wild apaches" (those who had
escaped from being taken as prisoners with Geronimo, and went on living
in the Sierra Madre). I. found signs of some few pitifull and poor "wild"
apaches still living there. After having written a book on this, he went on
with archeological excavations in Greenland and Newfoundland and did
the famous discovey of Norse settlements ( with his wife Anne Stine). After
having written some more  books he seemed to have calmed down until
he now joins battle with Heyerdahl (e.g. pointing out strange aspects with
the Portugese maps and that few explorers would have dared those
coasts in February - when the ice and cold are at its worst).

In many ways, I believe a certain Carl Barks would thoroughly enjoy
chatting for days with mr. Ingstad - and with Heyerdahl. If you haven't read
any of their books, I very much recommend it, as they represent values
and a generation of "giants" there seem to be few possibilities of having
in the internet 90's. And - of course - materials for stories!

Bjorn-Are

bjorn-are.davidsen at s.prosjekt98.telenor.no