Variety is the Spice of Life

Dr. Archontis Pantsios apantsio at ac.anatolia.edu.gr
Sat Dec 4 13:25:53 CET 1999

OLE:

>By common consensus 90% Barks, Rosa and Scarpa on white paper is the
>right stuff.

No, that's not a correct conclusion. Don Rosa's listing of the criteria that
make a great comic book cover me 100%.

>I kind of agree with him for the moment: to me it is much more interesting
>to get a copy of some classic Italian story than another edition of a story
>I already have, no matter how crisp and pearly white the paper.

But don't you see that you contradict yourself? Getting a copy of some
classic Italian story (which, BTW, KOMIX does that very well!), will ALSO be
a RE-PRINT! Someone else would very well put that as "another edition of a
story (he) already has"! (Ask any of our Italian comrades how they feel
about the re-re-prints of the stories in the two "Classicis")--on the other
hand, *ME*, I *LOVE* them and look forward to getting them each month!...And
so would you, I guess!

>That could be because so many of the dcml members actually don't read the
>'meat-and-potatoes' weeklies! At least I have repeatedly had nice words to
>say about the stories in Danish and Italian weeklies in recent years.

And so did I! Only too recently I wrote words of praise for the "Topolino"
weekly, and Francesco was right there to make sure I keep my feet on the
ground! :-)

>There's a quite nice story ret-conning the "Steamboat Willie" incident by
>that concerted and consistently praised writer Tito Faraci. Try and skip
>that 14th annual re-read of "The Square Eggs" and read something new instead.
>Who knows, you might even like it.

I know that the "you" refers to everybody and not to me specifically, but I
can speak only for myself in saying that I haven't read Barks for *years*
now! Also in 1999, I have raed only *2* Rosa stories. The rest (literally in
the hunderds) came from Italy. I didn't just like them; I LOVED them and am
hooked on them!

Cheers,

Archontis