reply to 12

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Tue Dec 7 13:02:18 CET 1999

STEFAN
> >I have the danish kalevala from the library and it
> >shows rune-o-meter. but the book is published by a museum and the
> >University in Copenhagen. And Egmont doesn't own that, so they
couldn't
> >copy it. Maybe in sweden there is a connection between the poblisher
of
> >the kalevla and the the Kalle Anka-publisher?

I only recently discovered this fact that is isn't direct quotes, even
though
I might have heard of it long before and forgotten it.
But this only shows that translators in Finland, Sweden and Norway (of
which I think I know the two last) did a swell job, and the text-editor
too.
It seems to have been a too hard job for the danish translator, and the
text-
editor used the usual font for the whole story. That is sad. But maybe
it was
too hard for the danish translator. I tried myself with the first panel
where
Scrooge talks like Vainamoinen, to translate it into dansih, from
swedish,
using kalevaian rhytm. it wouldn't be that difficult with the first
panel, but
then there are several panels that has to be in the rhytm...
All in all the danish translator didn't do what the others did, and
what I hope
the translators in the future will do. Oh, gosh... what if they get the
photostats
from the danish translation?? That shouldn't happen...

Hmm... I'm a fraid the danish publisher didn't use rune-o-meter even to
write to be continued, if that's what you meant?

> Glad to hear you confirm this, because that's what I also heard of
the
> Norwegian text (which I haven't seen).
my page www.geocities.com/acsive/rosakalevala shows nokalevala where
you can see
a panel. I got a scan of that page if you're interested...

It would be fun to know if the danish translator asked any questions to
Don or the other translators... the different versions are pretty much
alike. the fifference can be seen in the first panel with supposed
rune-o-meter. the danish translator didn't translate the 3rd line!

If the danish publisherer thinked rune-o-meter would be too strained
for the kids;
I'm sad to say, then maybe they shouldn't have published the story! My
mother too, did wonder how the danish kids might take this story. I
haven't spoken to any Rosa-fans from DK about the story since it came
out. Not real that is, and not much in mail. The weekly was sold out at
the local bookstore, but that might be because I myself bought 4 issues
for swapping!! (should I feel bad about that? Duco? Katie? Nils?)

Just discovered: they hat too manipulate Scrooges hat on the cover!

What you say here end the end is right. If the translator had done the
rune-o-meter, and it was not well-done, the danish Rosa-fans might have
gone more mad than they might be. And then maybe they aren't mad at
all, cause they most likely don't know what they miss. Only a few danes
(Thomas, me, who else?) have seen the finnish Sammon Salaisuus book
with the Quest for Kalevala in it...

KRITON
> In that particular case, being thrown out of the list is what these
> people are trying to do, so it would be no punishment!
What would you propose then, my friend? That we mail-bomb them?!
I have an idea. but that would be too evil... (to send 10 big scans of
a comic, maybe his mailbox would suffer from that. yeah, i know, to
evil..)

NILS

> (2) Secondly I understand there will be an interview [snip] to be
published
> on the web. I just checked with http://www.donald.no , but cannot
> find anything there?
The page was commerced for in the danish weekly too. But updates
apart from the cover and the lead-stories are difficult on the
homepages...

ARIE
> can somebody help me out, cause I'm a bit lost in all your messages
this shows we should have a faq somewhere... to answer these questions.

I asked them myself too when i came here... and it reeally is good
questions. everyone just think everyone knows the shorts, and doesn't
think about new members
> 1. What's HDL?
It was probably even myself who used this...
it means Huey Dewey and Louie. the 3 nephews Donald has.

Wes Andersen

> My fingers are crossed as well, but I'm actually more prepared to
learn a new language > instead. Anyone have any suggestions? I was
going to go with the language of my ancestors, > Danish, but Don's
recent disappointments in their translations changed my mind.
well, the thing that is wrong with the translation is the non-appearing
rune-o-meter and kalevala-font.
The danish translations are usually very funny, and quite catchy to the
danish humour as Don's orioginals are to the american (the good kind of
american humour if so).
maybe you should learn scandinavian so you will be able to read the
stories in swedish, norwegian or maybe finnish.

>  2.9 children
How can one have that?
> -- Wes
Yes, you seem to have danish ancestors. Andersen... wow, many people
are called that.
My grandmother and our most famous poet... not that they are alike in
any way...

ARIE
> First of all, I must apologize to use this DCML for sending a private
=
> mail. But i got mail from Erik from norway, and i can't reply him. My
=
> outlook express thinks that his address is not an e-mail address at
all. =
> I don't want to let him down. So plea........se forgive me.
I do, at least. And you know what? I did the same once... with erik
too.
Erik, your e-mail seems to be out of order sometimes, when written to
by certain mailers...

> BTW to the people i promised to send my comics, sorry about sending
you =
> the same stuff. the reason is there's no back-issues here.
That's very okay. Lo$ 4 is a nice chapter, and the other stories sounds
nice too.

> the publisher
> here, Gramedia, destroys books that's left after one month not sold.
People! isn't this horrible? I hope that some back-issues get to the
old shops from readers maybe... but if there are Barks and Rosa-stories
in them they wont give them away...

STEFAN PERSSON
> Do you know that the sentences have changed their place with each
other in
> pt. 2?
What do you mean? have changed places? the publisher made a mistake?
In the danish publciation of Return to forbidden valley, the text
editor has
pressed enter one time to many in to bubbles, and a line of text is
gone!