Kalevala meter

Stefan Diös pyas at swipnet.se
Tue Dec 7 13:28:42 CET 1999

STEFAN P:

>Do you know that the sentences have changed their place with each other in
pt.2?

Glad you noticed! Yes, that was the idea... one characteristic of good
rune-whatever-meter is the "parallelism", which is when you say the same
thing several times in different ways. This feature can rarely be used to
perfection in a comics dialog where space is limited and needed to keep the
plot moving, but I like to at least be aware of it. I'm not going to claim
that the next-issue lines are examples of perfect parallelism, either... I
used the same words, but did change the order. Also, the lines are a week
apart... but then again, they are not part of any story or epic poem, so I
can write them just like I want to... or rather, just like my editors want
to...

> BTW, "runometer" is called "rune-o-meter" in English.

Thanks for confirming that. I'll take your word for it... I never saw that
spelling anywhere until recently on this list. The know-it-all in me had a
good mind to correct you people, which apparently would have been egg on my
own face. I do believe, however, that I've seen the word "runometer" in
English somewhere, but most frequently I think it's just called "Kalevala
meter".

Also, I'd suspect that the word "parallelism" should be written like this
in English, with just three L's? In Swedish it would be four.

Stefan Dios
Malmo, Sweden