Kalevala translation

Esben Kindt eke at get2net.dk
Sun Dec 19 20:12:32 CET 1999

Don Rosa wrote:

> No, no, no. You're getting this all confused. Please tell me exactly what
> is said in that translation. In my original script, Vainemoinen says that
> he and $crooge share a love of a beautiful land of ice and snow, to which
> $crooge says "The Yukon?". Then (*afterwards*) Vainy says that a lost love
> awaits $crooge in his own Kalevala. $crooge does NOT say "Yukon" in reply
> to that. Is that NOT the order in which your translator has my dialogue???
> Lawrd, I hope so. I get tired worrying about how key moments of dialogue
> and meaning are being screwed up here!

I'll intrude on this discussion to give a translation of the dialogue.
Actually I think that what you have written above sums it up pretty well, so
there does not seem to have been a mistake by the translator in this case. I
think the danish dialogue works better than in previous stories, but I still
feel I miss out on a lot when they have not followed the rune-o-meter.
Hopefully the Finnish publisher will be able to print the story in English.
Anyway, here is my translation of the danish dialogue:

Vainemoinen: I shall travel beyond the northern lights. Do you have the
courage to follow? Does Sampo mean that much to you?
V: In that case I will give you a present Scrooge, for you have saved me
from
exile and rebuilt Sampo.
V: We are alike. Your love of ice and snow, of the beauty of the northern
lands...
Scrooge: Yukon?
V: Will you follow me and attain eternal wealth? Will you forsake your own
Kalevala, where an old love still awaits you?
S: No!

^Esben

PS: I just reread the story and discovered that OSO must be a very old
company indeed. Wonderful background gag.