DCML digest, Vol 1 #124 - 5 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Apr 3 15:03:46 CEST 2000

> From: Norbert Stippler
> I have a specific question concerning "Treasure Under Glass", which I
> read yesterday for the first time.......
> But on page 12 Donald asks if the camera is ready, and the nephew
> answers: "Ich hab eben einen neuen Film eingelegt", in english: "I just
> put in a new film." So, if the film is changed in the middle of the
> story, the photograph from page one can't be in the camera at the end of
> the story.

This was a story that I did for Egmont (one of the first) and it was used
by the Disney regime while they were publishing the comics after wresting
them away from poor Gladstone... so there's no sense in me checking the
American version of that story since their dialogue would have come not
from me (since I did not cooperate with them like that) but would have come
from Egmont... therefore it would have been Disney's idea for Egmont's
version of the original. Strange things happened in those Disney
versions... my "favorite" was in "Incident at McDuck Tower" where my
original script had someone saying something innocuous like "I'm going to
shut the window -- I feel a draft" (Donald was outside the window on a
ledge), and the Disney version read something like "How dare you speak to
me in that tone of voice, Gertrude!" This will remain one of the great
unsolved and bizarre mysteries of my life and times.
So I checked my original 1989 script for that dialogue -- when Donald asks
the Nephew if the camera is ready, the Nephew replies "Watertight and full
of film".... the implied meaning being the same film roll that was in it
earlier in the story. But that German translation, while perhaps a slight
error, is not a very big one. At least they didn't have the Nephew reply
"How dare you speak to me in that tone of voice, Mildred!" like it might
have been in the American Disney version if I'd bothered to check.