Suppressed desire and panic (WDC 198)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Dec 3 18:10:32 CET 2000

KRITON KYRIMIS, 29-11-2000, Digest Vol 1 #339:

> [WDC 198] This story always disturbed me. *Why* did everyone make fun
> of Donald for wanting to be a knight? The only reason I could think
> would be that they were being too literal: since it is no longer
> possible to become a knight, arriving at the suppressed desire party
> dressed up as such would indicate a misunderstanding of the rules of
> the party.

A reason I can think of is that Donalds desire to go to a party in
armour is "overdone". As can be seen in the story, Donald can hardly
walk in this armour (at least not conveniently). When he walks,
the armour is clinging and squeeking. Also, the armour makes him an
"iron porcupine" and so he has to be careful not to hurt the people
around him.

What I don't understand in this story are the nephews' reasons why
Donald shouldn't be a knight, saying that he's behind his time.

A misunderstanding of the party's rules could be that it apparently
doesn't state whether or not the surpressed desire can be a (too)
historical one.

BTW. I remember a gag in which Uncle Scrooge is overdoing the
invitation rules of a "Come as you are party". He arrives bathing,
because that was what he doing when receiving the invitation.

> Even the ending of the story seems wrong. I would have expected
> Barks to start with a story initially praising knighthood, but
> in the end showing that there is no such thing any more, rather
> than the reverse. Could it be that Barks was poking fun at his
> own bitter attitude?

I think it's one of the rare instances in which Barks puts a moral
lesson at the end of the story. Another example could be the
"olympic hopeful" story (WDC 188).

BTW. What I find interesting about the knight story is that Barks
shows what I've heard before, namely that people in panic do not
remember how a door works when it opens inward. Not being able
to think anymore, because of their panic, they start pushing the
door and so they "lock" it with their own strength.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel

"Keep after those thieving jays while I'm gone, clerky!
And don't give them a minute's rest!"