Scarpa and Zio Paperone

Francois Willot willot.francois at ec-lille.fr
Thu Feb 24 16:22:33 CET 2000

> This week's (issue 8) old Scarpa-story from 1955 (Il carnevale di Paperin
> PaperoneI) was also very good. In this issue we see HDL fighting among
> themselves and getting sick beacuse of eating too much chocolate. The B-boys
> are smoking, and they don't even get caught at the end of the story. Such
> tings are seldom seen in modern stories, and I found them quite refreshing.

Indeed, this story is quite "refreshing" and good; and I hope Hachette
will publish it. The "B-Boys" are supposed to be the Beagle Boys I
think, but Scarpa drew them a bit differently (like the Beagle Boys who
appear in two consecutive Barks 10-pager have a very different look than
the classical Barks Beagle Boys).

This story was reprinted in the latest issue of "Zio Paperone" together
with an interesting article by Luca Boschi on the first appearances of
Scrooge in Italian stories (after the first American but non-Barks
appearances of Scrooge).

The article features a panel of a story drawn by the mysterious Rino
Anzi, and mentions "Alberto Testa" as the writer of "Paperino e le
onorificenze".

> I think this story is the oldest Scapa-story I have read, but looking at
> 'the last Balaboo' it looks like 'Ttavole di raccordo per Almanacco
> Topolino' is the first mouse/duck-story he made. Is this right, and what's
> this story about? Is this story reprinted anywhere?

The "Tavole di Raccordo" pages are a set of comic pages drawn to connect
the end of certain stories (published in the same issue, here Almanacco
Topolino) with the beginning of the next story. It doesn't constitute a
real story by itself.

While these "glue pages" are the first Scarpa "story" published in
Almanacco Topolino, I think the real first Italian Scarpa story is a
Snow White story
(check http://stp.ling.uu.se/cgi-bin/starback/dcml/story?I+TL+78-A)

After this one,
http://stp.ling.uu.se/cgi-bin/starback/dcml/story?I+TL+97-B