Western's retrenchment

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu Feb 24 15:56:04 CET 2000

HENRI KUNNE, 22 FEBRUARY 2000:

> [Officer For a Day] True, but first, I think Strobl is living a bit *too*
> much in Barks' (and Rosa's)shadow nowadays, and second, I'd like to
> compare both versions.

I've heard that Strobl's earlier art was much better. Towards the end
of the 1950s (1958?) the paper (Strathmore?) on which the artists worked
was replaced by cheaper paper, which made drawing and erasing difficult.
In the early 1960s (around Uncle Scrooge No. 40?), also the size in which
the artists had to draw was reduced. Someone told me that some artists who
use to make made good art, turned into a very bad artists at that time.

Is there someone here who has some information on this? Are there for
example art comparisons of artists who worked for Western from, let's say,
1955 to 1965? And if so, are there remarkable changes in their art during
this period?

Greetings,

--- Daniel
http://www.acciom.se/barks/index.html