Brer Rabbit

sonia_dyer@hp.com sonia_dyer at hp.com
Wed Mar 1 20:00:08 CET 2000

     The characters are mimicking black people's speech and behavior -
     which makes them seen as "black people" (although being rabbits etc.).
     Is this in itself offending?

     My point is that the context the stories now would be published in (if
     they were) is much different from the original context. Is it possible
     for a child who reads the stories now, to see that they once pictured
     a race of "lower value"?

     And in a similar way, "Hiawatha" stories (or any stories with Indians)
     are banned in the US, just because Indians could be offended by seeing
     comic characters mimicking Indians.

     It just doesn't make sense to me. I do understand that both black
     Americans and Indians have a tough history behind them, but have this
     weakened them to such extent that they can't bear to see a black or an
     Indian comic character? I would appreciate an answer to this.

                Hi Jorgen-

          I understand your perspective.  Perhaps in another hundred years
          the Brer Rabbit and Hiawatha stories can be told in the USA in
          the original form, and be accepted in their historical context.
          In the interim, while many members of a previously discriminated
          against ethnic group may not be so "sensitive" about it, others
          are.  One on-going example is the loud objections by some native
          americans to American sports teams like the Braves or the Chiefs
          being named in reference to indians, even though the names are
          meant to imply courageous warriors. Similarly, in the original
          Uncle Remus/Brer Rabbit stories, the rabbit was a very very
          clever and inventive fellow.  Go figure!  I guess you have to
          have walked a mile in their shoes for it to make sense.  I can
          only say that the majority of my black friends still feel they
          are discriminated against, just not as openly as in the past.

                      Sonia