DCML digest, Vol 1 #158 - 13 msgs

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu May 25 12:48:03 CEST 2000

HARRY:

> It was a pleasant surprise to see the return of Arsθne Lupin.

Wasn't it actually some anagram of that name?

Anyway, I wonder how the French treated his, um, idiomatic speech.
Did they call him Ars In Loopin, and have him speak with an American
accent?

> I wonder what Picsou will do when they ran out of Barks stories?

Start reprinting them?

> How many European (non-British) children like to read their comics in the
> English language?

I don't know if at 40 years old I still count as a child, but I'm a bit
schizophrenic on this subject. For comics like Asterix, I prefer to read
them in the original French, rather than my own language or English.
For Disney comics, for the most part I prefer to read them in English,
but for Italian Disney comics reading them in English somehow feels
wrong, and I prefer the Greek translations. I don't know if this is
because Italians are much closer to Greeks than to Americans, and thus
Italian scripts translate better into Greek than into English, or that
there simply haven't been enough Italian stories translated into English
to permit drawing any conclusions. Come to think of it, it can't be the
former, as I have no problem with the French translations of Italian
stories in Mickey Parade (other than having to struggle through them
beacuse of my poor French).

DANIEL:

> I don't know what is usual in other countries, but here in The Netherlands
> children sometimes say "aunt" or "uncle" to friends of their parents.

Over here we do this for older people to whom you know you are somehow
related, but aren't sure exactly how. Thus, some of my cousins' children
call me "uncle", even though it was my mother who was really their aunt.

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"All's fair in politics and mathematics!"
-----