cubic acres

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at acoustics.dk
Tue Nov 28 18:05:09 CET 2000

FRANK:

>> 1 acre = 4047 m2, hence the hight of three acres must be the square root
>> of 3 times 4047 m2 if we assume the bin to be a true cube. This gives
>> us 110 meters--certainly a high building--more than 30 floors or so.

> (1, perverse): three times one cubic acre, so a volume equal to three
> times the volume of a cube whose side has a surface of one acre.

This is in fact the right one IMO, so I made a mistake. Here we go:

1 cubic acre = square root of 4047 m2 to the power of 3 = 257454 m3

3 cubic acres = 3 times 257454 m3 = 772362 m3

Now, to get the height we'll have to take the cubical root of that value:

ca. 92 meters.

and the

> (2, even more perverse): a volume equal to that of a cube whose side has
> a surface of three acres.

gave us 110 meters, so I guess (by taking the average of in this context
known perversities) that the conclusion of this silly "investigation" is:

The height of Scrooge's money bin is approximately

100 m
=====

give or take a few! How do you like that for an engineer's thumb rule? :-)

Søren