Kalevala

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 6 17:03:09 CEST 2001

Hello!

Anders:
>>I still didn't see a propper version of the Kalevala.
>>How's the french one speaking of that?? Is the snow of sampo the eye of
>>Iku Turso again?

Maybe if  I read the story over I would understand your question, but-- I don't.
As far as I can see, the only reference to both the Sampo & snow is at the end
when Väinämöinen leaves:

"When Spring comes and the snow melts, these little golden flakes,
too small to be seen, will remain. They will be the eternal gift of
Väinämöinen (and his friends from Duckburg)! They will be
*the golden snow of  the Sampo*!"
This panel shows a golden Sampo figure at the center of  an enlarged snow flake.

The Sampo's "hemisphere" was white with blue shades to make it look like silver;
some engravings are golden; the rest is yellow / orange. Are the colors correct?
The Kantele is golden too-- this seems odd, though.

By the way, how should the names be pronounced?
Kalevala:                                                    (just in case there's a trick in the
pronunciation)
Väinämöinen:
Sampo:
Pohjola:                                                       (like a "j" or a "y"?
Louhi:                                                          (as written?)
Ilmarinen:                                                    (as written, with the -en like "hen"?)
Iku-Turso:                                                    (like the German "u" or the German
"ü"?)
Thanks !

                                                                                            Olivier