WDC&S Titles

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 25 14:54:35 CEST 2001

I haven't made enough research, so i don't have enough facts
to illustrate my question, but here it is.

The WDC&S ten-pagers usually had no title.
There were a few notable exceptions at the beginning, with a strip of  art at the
top of  the pages or a title panel (ie art with the title but not the first panel of
the story, like a cover).

(WDC&S 34, July '43)     No title, just the strip of  art at the top
(WDC&S 35, Aug '43)    Same as above (same strip too)
(WDC&S 36, Sept '43)    "The Mighty Trapper"            (strip of  art with title)
(WDC&S 38, Nov '43)     "Good Neighbors"                 (strip of  art with title)
(WDC&S 39, Dec '43)    "Salesman Donald"               (strip of  art with title)
(WDC&S 40, Jan '44)     "Snow Fun"                             (strip of  art with title)
(WDC&S 41, Feb '44)    "The Duck in the Iron Pants"  (strip of  art with title)
(WDC&S 42, March '44)    "Kite Weather"        (title only)
(WDC&S 43, April '44)       "Three Dirty Little Ducks"    (title panel)
(WDC&S 44, May '44)    "The Mad Chemist        (title panel)
(WDC&S 45, June '44)   "Rival Boatmen"            (title only)
(WDC&S 46, July '44)     "Camera Crazy"            (title only)

Then (unless I missed some), nothing till

(WDC&S 229, Oct '59)    "The good Deeds"        (title, but a machine-like font)
(WDC&S 230, Nov '59)   "Black Wednesday"      (title, but a machine-like font)
(WDC&S 231, Dec '59)    "The Wax Museum"    (title, but a machine-like font)
(WDC&S 232, Jan '60)     "Unde the Polar Ice"    (title)

Does anyone know what prompted the changes (no more titles in the early
years, then titles again from late '59 onward)?
If  titles has started reappearing in 1952/3, I would have guessed the decision
was influenced by the appearance of  the U$ comic books, to make the whole
coherent, but there's a goid 7-year gap in-between.

Olivier