Me again... , Story Titles

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 25 14:54:23 CEST 2001

Hi!

>>3. Does Little Helper appear in "The stubborn stork"?
He does.

>>2. What is the text on the outside Gyro's workshop - in American?

Well, there have been many different signs. Here they are (well, most of  them
I guess, I may have skipepd a story), to get inspiration from.

WDC&S 152 (May '53, "The Talking Dog"), p 7 panel 2:
    "Gyro Gearloose
    Inventor Of  Anything"    (sign on the fence)
    "Laboratory"    (sign on the roof)

WDC&S 153 (June '53, "Worm Weary"), p 4 panel 3:
    "Gyro Gearloose
    Inventor Of  Anything"    (sign)
    "Laboratory"    (sign on the roof)

U$ 14 (June '56, "Inventor of  Anything"), p 1 panel 5:
        "Shop"    (above the door) (in the sense of  "workshop")

U$ 16 (Dec '56, "Forecasting Follies), p 2 panel 5:
        "Gyro Gearloose
        Inventor"

Chrismas Parade 8 (Dec '56), "Grandma's Present" :
        "G. Gearloose
        Inventor of  Anything"    (on his briefcase)

U$ 17 (March '57, "Fishing Mystery"):
        "Inventions For All Occasions"

WDC&S 201 (June '57, "The Dye is Cast"), p 2 panel 6:
        "Gyro Gearloose
          Inventor"                (at the door)

U$ 19 (Sept '57, "Gyro Builds a Better House"):
        "Gyro Gearloose
        Inventor of  Anything"

U$ 20 (Dec '57, "Roscoe the Robot"), p 3 panel 2:
        "Gyro Gearloose
        Inventor"

U$25 (March '59, "The Wishing Well"):
    "G. Gearloose
    Inventor of  Anything"

(Here comes one I like)
U$ 27 (Sept '59), "The Firefly Tracker" :
          "Price
             List
     -------------------
     Big Inventions
          $ 5.00
            ------
       Not So Big
          $ 4.00
            ------
      Fancy Ones
          $7.50"

GG FC 1047 (Nov '59), inside front cover:
    lotsa things
    http://members.nbci.com/mouse_ducks/pix/fc1047if.jpg
    (yep, that's a scan!)

GG F 1047 (Nov '59), "The Lost Rabbit Foot":
    "The Customer is always right"    (but I guess he removed that sign
                                                              after dealing with Gladstone)

(Another funny one)
U$ 28 (Dec '59), "The Inventors' Contest" :
    "Inventions
         While
         Wait !
         -   -   -
     Big Ones . . . . $5.00
     Wee Ones .....   .05 c"

WDC&S 233, "Knights of  the Flying Sleds" (Feb '60), p 3 panel 8:
    "Inventions while you wait!"

GG FC 1095 (April '60), "Cave of  the Winds", p 5 panel 4:
    "Gyro Gearloose
          Inventions
             While
              Wait"

GG FC 1095 (April '60), "Mixed-Up Mixer":
    "Gyro Gearloose
      Inventions While
      U Wait"                    (on the fence next to his house,
                                         with arrows on either side of  "U Wait"
                                         ponting left, at his workshop)
    "Invention Shop"    (sign on the roof, p 1  panel 7)

GG FC 1095 (April '60), "The Madball Pitcher", p 2 panel 1:
    "Gyro Gearloose
      Inventions While U Wait!"
    No address, nor for the place where he was born, but a sign
    there (p 5 panel 7) reading
    "Birthplace of  Gyro Gearloose
     Inventor of  Topless Hats"

U$ 30 (June '60), "War Paint", p 1 panel 7:
    "Inventions
          by
        Gyro!"            (on his cart, which looks like a miniature wagon--
                                Western movies style-- in this story)
U$ 31 (Sept '60), "Fishy Warden":
    "Gyro Gearloose
      Inventor Of  Anything"

U$ 32 (Dec '61), "That Small Feeling", p 1 panel 2:
    "Gyro Gearloose
     Inventor"                    (a diploma on the wall)

GG FC 1184 (May '61), "Monsterville", p 8 panel 2:
    "Gyro Gearloose
               ------
            Inventor
            Thinker
            Genius"        (wondering whether it's not something the city
                                   gave him, since they are so happy with what he's done;
                                    it sounds a bit too cocky for humble Gyro)

GG FC 1184 (May '61), "Mighty But Miserable":
    "Inventions
     Not a Lemon in a Carload"        (on his cart)
    and p 3 panel 6,
          "Inventions
             Shoppe
               ---------
             Day-Old
            Inventions
              1/2 Off"

GG FC 1184 (May '61), "Brain-Strain", p 7 panel 4:
    "Inventor"    (above the door)
    "Gyro Gearloose
                *
       Inventions
       Emporium
                *"                (on the glass of  the door)

WDC&S 249, "Stranger Than Fiction" (June '61), p 2 panel 3:
    "Gyro Gearloose
    Inventor of  Anything"

U$ 35 (Sept '61), "Fast Away Castaway":
    "G. Gearloose
      Inventor"            (on the wooden door)

U$ 36 (Dec '61), "Duckburg's Day of Peril":
    "Inventions"        (on his cart)

(next, a story I love)
U$ 37 (March '62), "The Great Pop Up", p 3 panel 5)
    "Gyro Gearloose
    Inventor"

U$ 38 (June '62), "Madcap Inventors":
    "Invention Shop
    Come In And Browse"

U$ 39 (Sept '62), "Finny Fun":
    "Gyro's Invention Shoppe"

U$ 40 (Jan '63), "Posthasty Postman", p 2 panel 6:
    "Inventions"    (above the door)
    "Gyro's Invention Shop"    (sign next to the door)

U$ 46 (Dec '63), "A Helper's Helping Hand":
    "Inventions"        (on top of  the roof)

U$ 47 (Feb '64), "Man versus Machine", p 1 panel 3:
    "Inventions by the Bundle"

(and here are some from a Don Rosa story)
WDC&S 607 (Jan '97), "The once and Future Duck" (1/3):
    "Gyro Gearloose Insolvable Problems Solved"    (above the door)
    "Stand Back! Genius At Work!"
    "Special Sale!
      Barrel-o'-Inventions
      5 bucks"                                          (signs on either side of  the door)

Conclusion:
The most common signs are "Gyro Gearloose, Inventor of  Anything"
and "Inventions While U Wait". A few bargain offers were posted sometimes.
I think it should be simple: Gyro is proud of  his inventions but is a simple
guy who takes pleasure inventing but doesn't make huge profit out of  it (lots of
good bargains).

>>1. Do we know the adress to Gyro's workshop?
Haven't seen it.

>>BTW, I will recommend all of you to NOT turn on your computers 26/4... you
>>know, the Tsjernobyl virus...
? Whazzat? Haven't head about it

By the way, re WDC&S 171 ("The Too-Safe Safe", Dec '54),
I think it was the first instance of  Gytro hitting himself  on the head.
He did it a couple more times but not that often. I guess it may have been
deemed too violent and something children might have tried.
I remember a story (artist unknown) in which Gyro placed a special
kind of  thiking-hat on his head: it looked like a nest I think, with birds in
it that chirped when inspiration struck. Anybody remembers it?

Olivier