Thinking hat, non-Disney ducks and pockets

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Wed Apr 25 18:42:15 CEST 2001

Olivier:
> I remember a story (artist unknown) in which Gyro placed a special
> kind of  thiking-hat on his head: it looked like a nest I think, with birds in
> it that chirped when inspiration struck. Anybody remembers it?

I remember several of these stories. They were published around 70's in
the weeklies.

Håvard:
> I think the author made Howard the Duck loose his nebb in an accsident. Then
> Disney gave up, and Howard bought a new nebb! He looked like he did before,
> but Disney didn´t care!

This sounds more like Arne Anka, a swedish creation. He actually had
plastic surgery done to his beak when Disney turned their eyes on him and
looked more like chicken after that. But after a while he went a bought a
rubber beak that looks like Donald's. Now if Disney said something he
would just take the fake beak away.
Don't know how a fake beak on comics character would hold in court but it
sure is a fun idea.

Harry:
> Petri:
> > Actually, this is not what happened to me. I liked these
> > Egmont when I was little, but got bored with them.
>
> I see. Then maybe it *is* something else. I'm sure it is not the quality of
> the stories: both Danish and Italian stories range from very bad to very
> good.

It's also a question of the pocket books, not only the stories. As I was
so little when collected them (under 10), I invented all kinds games to
play with them. There was pocket book bowling and other fun and
destructive ways to use them. As a result my collection might not look
too good, but their sentimental value is high.

> >I would love to have a resurrection of daily strips
> > with a continous plot.
> Or maybe, long pocket book stories in the Gottfredson/Scarpa tradition! I
> know they can do that! Scarpa is even working for Egmont these days. (Are
> you reading this, David? 8-)

First they should get Scarpa writing again. Did he stop writing just
because there was no time for it or doesn't he just like writing? He wrote
so good stories in the past that it's a shame he doesn't use his skills.
But I would love to see some changes in the pocket books. These days they
are too generic. You have a long Egmont story in the beginning and at the
end. You have a one Egmont Mickey story in the middle and some short
Italian stories elsewhere. Almost every pocket book has 8 or 9 stories. I
would like to see more Mickey stories: like Indiana Pipps, time machine
from Italy. They have the feel of adventure I'm missing. They don't seem
to make many long stories in Italy anymore, but I still would reduce the
amount of stories to 6 or 7. Oh, I still remember those old pocket books
with three of four stories. It would help (only little but anyway) if
they changed the structure of the pocket books so that an Egmont story
wouldn't be at the beginning and at end every time.
But despite all this whining I still like them. Can't help it.

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
"Elämä muodostaa komplekseja."