DCML digest #513

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Apr 30 14:39:41 CEST 2001

> From: "Gilles MAURICE" <goofy313g at infonie.fr>
> I wanted to ask to DonRosa: why did you keep the name "Fanny" for gus'
> mother? (not a complaint, here, I am happy you did so, it was enough
> complicated like that :-) ...)

Um... was that the name given in the original animated-cartoon
first-appearance of Gus Goose? If so, I would have used that, even though I
consider the Disney-animated Donald to be a different character than the
comic book version, partly because Barks would have been working on the DD
shorts at that time and might have had something to do with that name. But
my main reason was that  when creating that Family Tree, I absolutely added
no new characters of my own without being compelled to do so in order to
link together the Barks characters that, of course, *did* exist.  And if
one of these characters had been named already in a film or non-Barks comic
book, I  chose that name before I made up one of my own.

> I also wanted to ask him, and to the others who only believe in
Barks/Rosa
> universe, if he/they believe that the letter Barks sent to Scarpa with a
> picture of Scrooge and Brigitta, giving him ideas for the story "The
Money
> Perfume", should be considered as a Barksian Fact.

In my own personal view of the Duck Universe I employ in my stories, I
disregard anything that Barks wrote or drew after 1967. Regardless of the
quality of that later work, I regard all of that material as being done for
a totally different purpose and for a totally different reason than the
work of the comic story days. This would apply to his Woodchuck scripts,
his paintings and any private correspondence.
This does not answer your question of "should" it be considered a Barksian
fact. That's completely a matter of individual interpretation, even if one
decided to worry about such a thing in the first place.