Death in Disney comics (again)

Hans Kiesl hans.kiesl at sowi.uni-bamberg.de
Wed Aug 1 14:24:42 CEST 2001

ETA BETA, ARMANDO:

Armando wrote about I TL 466-B:

> Interesting... I TL 466-B has just been reprinted in Italy in
> "Grandi Classici" 176: Clarabelle's uncles die because of the
> explosion of a bomb in their pumpkin field. The scene is drawn by
> Carpi. I've checked an older Italian reprint (CWD 32, from 1969),
> and there's no trace of Perego there, either... maybe Perego
> re-drew the scene for a later reprint (CD 57, or TM 27)? Can
> anybody check?

And Eta Beta answered:

> Just checked the CD 57 reprint against the original, and there's
> no difference, and no trace of Perego's art anywhere. It's the
> bomb explosion (a leftover of military manoeuvres) that does it
> for the uncles... the concept is, however, treated with some...
> "lightness"... the farmer, after the explosion, goes "Oh... the
> Cow brothers just disappeared..."

Interesting! Did I understand correctly: There is no Perego art
neither in the original story nor in any Italian "i classici" reprint?
That means that Perego re-drew the scene for non-Italian
paperbacks only?

If you would like to know what Petri was talking about, have a look
at the German version in "Lustige Taschenbücher" no. 13:
http://www.geocities.com/kiesl1729/I_TL_466_B_a.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/kiesl1729/I_TL_466_B_b.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/kiesl1729/I_TL_466_B_c.jpg

And while we're at it: could you please check the original version of
the following panel on page 39 of the same story:
http://www.geocities.com/kiesl1729/I_TL_466_B_d.jpg

The Phantom Blot's face looks a bit like Perego art IMO. But
maybe I'm just imagining things...

-Hans-